Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transition frequency (Related to Frequency Response).

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphacat

Hey,

I started reading the Frequency Responce chapter in my book, and in the section where they analyzed Short Circuit Current Gain of the CE amplifier, it was said that:
"The quasi-static model is not valid at frequencies higher than the point at which the magnitude of the current gain is equal to one".

Could you please explain to me what is the quasi-static model which represents a CE amplifier, and why is it valid in freq. below the transition frequency? (in which the current gain equals to one).

Thank you.

The current gain or "beta" of a Common Emitter (CE) amplifier is always measured with dc currents.

However, if you drive the base circuit with an ever increasing frequency, the ac current gain falls as the frequency increases. Eventually the current gain will fall to one, where the change in collector current then equals the change in base current. That is known as the "Transition Frequency", or Ft of that particular transistor.

Beyond that frequency is ceases to amplify ac signals, and becomes pretty useless.

Any modelling that assumes the transistor can amplify becomes invalid, and any circuit will fail to work as intended.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back