Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transistors

Status
Not open for further replies.

tj107us

It might be a stupid question but i'm new to electronics, How do you know what kind or type of transistors you need to use in a certain circuit?

How do you know what kind or type of transistors you need to use in a certain circuit?

It depends on a number of factors:

#1. What technology of transistor is best for the circuit? FET, BJT, etc.
#2. If you are using BJT's What polarities do you use more often? This determines whether you should use NPN or PNP more often.
#3. Look at how the transistor is made. a BJT transistor contains two diodes back-to back. This greatly determines what kind of transistor you use.

What is the "certain" circuit you are referring to?

tj107us said:
Thanks alot?
Very appropriate punctuation. :)
Some of that was true, some was mumbo-jumbo. Unfortunately, he sometimes has a tendency to do a core dump when he sees something that he's had some experience with.
Your question doesn't have a simple answer. It takes a lot of education and/or experience to design a working circuit. If you're new, you will learn faster by copying proven designs and attempting to understand how they work.

Ron H said:
Some of that was true, some was mumbo-jumbo. Unfortunately, he sometimes has a tendency to do a core dump when he sees something that he's had some experience with.
I had to make my point. Otherwise he could ask more.

Your question doesn't have a simple answer.
Thats why I gave the three points.

If you're new, you will learn faster by copying proven designs and attempting to understand how they work.
Start with the easy designs, and when you understand with the easy designs, go with some more difficult ones. It does take research to be experienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back