Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielsmusic

just a kwik one...
i would like to know what type of transistor this is

Attachments

• picture_007_1_.jpg
    picture_007_1_.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 968
Heathtech, I don't know how you're going to get him a datasheet, i cant even read the letters and numbers in the picture.

Could you type out the letters and numbers daniel?

I would suggest it might be an 'in-house' number, which is a private number placed on a device for a manufacturer of a unit - in which case the number won't have a datasheet.

For an example Daniel, you are manufacturing high power audio amplifiers, and you want to source your components from a number of different semiconductor manufacturers to help prevent any potential shortages.

Now it looks bad if you use different transistors during production, so you ask for 'in-house' numbers on the transistors - as you're buying large numbers the manufacturers are quite happy to do this.

So you order devices from Texas, Toshiba, and Motorola - and you ask ALL of then to print 'Daniel1' on them, rather than the manufacturers number. Now YOU know exactly what transistors they are, but no one else has a clue - as 'Daniel1' won't be listed in any datasheets, and could be any one of three different transistors.

Anyway, that's an example of 'in-house' numbers, and of course they might be nothing of the sort - but I've never seen any manufacturer numbers like those.

you must be right but
it look just like any other transistor and has a logo on it.
it is a circle with a triangle in it and a little dash pointing top left,
to the center.

Heathtech, I don't know how you're going to get him a datasheet, i cant even read the letters and numbers in the picture

I put the picture in the photoeditor to brighten it, and I was able to read all the numbers and letters, so I'm one step ahaead. I believe the manufacturer no longer exists, but the rights to the parts are owned by this company:

Summit Electronics Corp.
751 Park Of Commerce Drive
Suite#120
Boca Raton, FL 33487
Phone: (561) 226-8500
email us: sales@summitelectronics.com

I called them and they are supposed to e-mail me a datasheet.

heathtech said:
I put the picture in the photoeditor to brighten it, and I was able to read all the numbers and letters, so I'm one step ahaead. I believe the manufacturer no longer exists, but the rights to the parts are owned by this company:

"Tower International Transistor Selector", which is an essential book to have, lists details on over 32,000 bipolar transistors - but nothing faintly resembling the numbers on that device.

It lists Varo as a manufacturer, but only as "Ceased Production", I'm presuming from the date code that it's from 1979, week 14?.

All, right, making progress. The internet is a marvelous thing. Summit is trying to obtain the datasheet at this time, and they sent me a photograph to verify the part. I'm going to post the photo and give you the datasheet when I get it.

Oh, you won't like this information: There are only 6 of these left in the whole universe, and this is the price they are quoting for them:
95601102 1 Wks 6 $155.00000 each

Attachments

• img_0164.jpg
    img_0164.jpg
    503.9 KB · Views: 874
Well, I guess the company that has these six transistors must be having a hard time finding the datasheet, because I haven't recieved it yet. At any rate, at least you know how much it costs to buy another one. I am guessing it isn't worth it. However, if they do get that info to me, I will still post it, because with the datasheet you might be able to find a suitable replacement with similar specs.

Well, evidently a datasheet is not available anymore on this , as stated in the last e-mail I recieved:
From Summit salesperson E-mail:
To: RICHARD ROSENSTEIN
Subject: RE: P/N 95601102

RICH,
THERE IS NO WAY I CAN ID. THIS WAS A HOUSE #. HOWEVER, VARO ONLY MADE RECTIFIERS IN A TO-3 PKG.
SORRY, BUT WITHOUT A SAMPLE & TEST EQUIPMENT I CANNOT HELP.
BOB,

Not sure if you want to try these guys, but they show stock.

**broken link removed**

Maybe if they are really nice they may give you a datasheet. I wouldn't get my hopes up though, if it's a generic rectifier hiding under a house number, you are not likely to buy from them once you find out via the datasheet :D

Maybe if they are really nice they may give you a datashee

They weren't real nice...LOL
actually, they don't give out datasheets.
To, the original poster...I must be really bored to spend so much time on this, but, I figure what the heck, anything I can do to help. It looks like this is a dead end, though. Is this a failed component in a piece of equipment you are trying to repair? What is the application? Is the device this component was in valuable enough to order an expensive replacement? Maybe someone smarter than I can help you find a cross-reference and replace it with something else.

If you have tons of them, you might be able to sell them to the company that prices them for $155 and make a killing! They specialize in obsolete components! You should get in contact!
i needed to use a power trasistor and had loads of these

In what application do you need to use them? The difficulty here is we don't know if they are PNP or NPN, we don't know the power rating, we don't know for sure the pin configuration, and we don't know for sure if it is a transistor, a regulator, a rectifier, or what. Tell us SPECIFICALLY the application in which you need a power transistor, and someone might have a suitable suggestion.

if it is a biplar transister is it is i know the pins because they are not quite in the center.

i dont have loads of them like 100s i have 10 and want to make a 1000w
amp, not for music but for a motor.
the coils are so wide in diameter i mite as well short the battery (100AH)!
if i wire it up ok i should work but i need to know the power rating.

any way never mind i will have to see if i can dig some different ones out.
thanks for everyones help anyway.
:)

What in the world do you need an amplifier for a motor?!?
Motors don't use amplifiers, they don't need them. Please explain this because I don't at all understand what you are talking about.

.....Let me expand on this. You implied last night that you want to use a power transistor for an amplifier, but not for music, for a motor. OK, let me explain why this doesn't make sense. Amplifiers are used to increase a signal from a small level to a greater one. For instance, the induced voltage from the voice coil in a microphone is a very low voltage AC, which isn't strong enough to drive a speaker, so we amplify it to stronger power levels to satisfy the requirements of the speaker coil. In the case of a motor, the only requirement to drive the motor is that we supply the proper voltage that it is rated for. If the motor is a 12 volt DC brushmotor, all we need to do is apply 12 volt DC to the 2 terminals of the motor, and it will turn, no need for "amplification", because there is no variation in signal. All you need is the proper power supply. Now, having said all of this, transistors can be used in a motor control circuit, but they are not being used as "amplifiers" per say. Rather, they are being used as switches. If you are building a logic circuit that will control a motor, say, to turn it on when a certain event occurs like a mechanical switch closing or a timer circuit activation, you might need a transistor to relay the event signal to the motor. But again, this is not really an amplifier circuit, but rather a switching circuit. Now, you indicated a need for 1000 watts, and I am assuming this is for the motor. This indicates to me that you are wanting to drive an AC motor, because DC motors are seldom 1000 watts! In this case, a transistor IS NOT the correct device to drive the motor! I would recommend some solid state relay, triac, or mechanical relay configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back