Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistor vs Thyristor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boro3

Hey Guys,
I have a question :)

its abou an npn Transistor in common emitter circuit and pnpn Thyristor.

Transistor Thyristor

P
My question is why is it possible to trigger the thyristor but not the transistor.The transistor needs always an Basis current to get the Collector Current.flow

Thyristor: Trough an positiv Gate-Kathode Volatge the electrons from the N-Kathode Region can get to the P-Gate Region.
For a positive Volatge from Anode to Kathode, the electrons, from N Kathode Region wich got to P-Gate Region will flow further to P-Anode Region.
Then you can turn off the Gate signal an the current will flow further.
#
Transistor: I mean it schould be the same. trough an Basis-Emmiter Voltage, the Electrons from the N-Emitter Region can get to P-Basis Region.
For a positiv Volatge from Collector to Emitter, the electron will flow further to the collector.

So why it doesn function here to turn the Basis off?
What does the P-Anode of the Thyristor do what de Transistor dont have?
can you maybe explain it with the movement of electronen an holes?

Thank youuu :)

You're over thinking it - the thryistor is essentially just an NPN and a PNP transistor, connected so they hold each other ON even after the external trigger is removed. To reset it (as it's a latching circuit) you need to reduce the current through it to zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back