Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistor switching larger voltages?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, since I'm still a complete electronics newbie, I need to know if there's any super-easy way to make a smaller voltage (Say...From a microcontroller pin output) control a larger voltage through an NPN transistor. Probably pretty simple for someone with alittle more knowledge, so just enlighten me. :)

For low voltage DC (say 5-40V) see this page:

Not really Artemis.. Solid state power electronics have come a long way in recent years. Excluding actual full scale power transfer lines solid state electronics can do everything a relay can and more.

Sceadwian said:
Not really Artemis.. Solid state power electronics have come a long way in recent years. Excluding actual full scale power transfer lines solid state electronics can do everything a relay can and more.

Well, in general, one would probably want to use relays for large voltages and AC. Even though some of the newer solid-state stuff could do it, I'd rather use the slightly older method.

SCR's and triacs make solid state AC switching old hat for even 208 lines with multiple amps. They can be used in pulse aplications up to several thousand amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back