Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistor Substitution

Status
Not open for further replies.

200dan

Can anyone advise me of a suitable, readily available, substitute for an S9012 transistor? and/or tell me where such substitution tables are to be found on the internet.
Thanks
Dan

200dan said:
Can anyone advise me of a suitable, readily available, substitute for an S9012 transistor? and/or tell me where such substitution tables are to be found on the internet.

I've never heard of it, but it's actually mostly quite easy to find a suitable replacement for the majority of transistors, they are only rarely critical. What is the transistor used for?, do you have a circuit?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
200dan said:

I've never heard of it, but it's actually mostly quite easy to find a suitable replacement for the majority of transistors, they are only rarely critical. What is the transistor used for?, do you have a circuit?.

I have a very limited knowledge of electronics. All I can say is that it came from a pcb in a set of electronic scales. located just where the 6v battery supply is connected. It was blown, I managed to ' borrow' an identical one from a second set of scales, which confirmed the fault. Spec on the S9012 can be found at http://www.forward-component.com/productdetail.php?fn_type=TRANSISTOR&fn_package=TO-92

200dan said:
Nigel Goodwin said:
200dan said:

I have a very limited knowledge of electronics. All I can say is that it came from a pcb in a set of electronic scales. located just where the 6v battery supply is connected. It was blown, I managed to ' borrow' an identical one from a second set of scales, which confirmed the fault. Spec on the S9012 can be found at http://www.forward-component.com/productdetail.php?fn_type=TRANSISTOR&fn_package=TO-92

200dan said:
Nigel Goodwin said:
200dan said:

It looks to be a fairly standard PNP transistor, your important details are probably 500mA and 625mW, any small PNP which meets (or exceeds) these values will probably be fine. Be aware that transistors often have different base connections, so you might need to fit a replacement in slightly differently to the original.

You haven't entered your location in your details, so I don't have any idea where you might be - I live in England, so could only suggest suitable transistors we have here, which might not be any use to you.

Nigel Goodwin said:
200dan said:
Nigel Goodwin said:
200dan said:

It looks to be a fairly standard PNP transistor, your important details are probably 500mA and 625mW, any small PNP which meets (or exceeds) these values will probably be fine. Be aware that transistors often have different base connections, so you might need to fit a replacement in slightly differently to the original.

You haven't entered your location in your details, so I don't have any idea where you might be - I live in England, so could only suggest suitable transistors we have here, which might not be any use to you.

I too live in England, on that basis can you make some suggestions at specific transistors that might do the job.
Thanks
Dan

I would try a BC327 - but make sure how you connect it, the pinout may be different.

Yes, the collector and emitter are reversed on the BC327, with respect to the S9012. So, it will have to be mounted, rotated 180 degrees from how the S9012 was mounted.

Phasor said:
I would try a BC327 - but make sure how you connect it, the pinout may be different.

Yes, the collector and emitter are reversed on the BC327, with respect to the S9012. So, it will have to be mounted, rotated 180 degrees from how the S9012 was mounted.

Cheers for all the help/advice. Have used the BC327 as suggested and everything's working fine. Thanks again - Dan. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back