Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistor recomendation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cocoadev

Hi, I'm trying to make a luxeon LED 'pulse' to music. Could anyone recomend me a transistor...

**broken link removed**

what kind of current are you looking for in your LED? and what is your forward voltage?

I'd suggest using an LM3915 IC which is specifically designed to light LED's in response to music.

You can connect a transistor to the outputs of the LM3915 so that you can supply a sufficient amount of current to the led.

jrz126 said:
what kind of current are you looking for in your LED? and what is your forward voltage?
700ma @ 3.9v
jrz126 said:
I'd suggest using an LM3915 IC which is specifically designed to light LED's in response to music.
Bit overkill for my needs i rekon.

Thanks.

You could use a TIP32 PNP but your audio would have to be at +12 volts. A better circuit is below, using an NPN transistor:

Attachments

• led_driver.jpg
    led_driver.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 880
cocoadev said:
thanks Russlk, I cant work out the value of R2 there? what would it be?

It's labelled 1MOhm - bad choice of graphic format though, using the JPG format loses quality and makes the file considerably larger. For diagrams you should use GIF, 100% quality, and smaller files - save JPG's for photo's where it's compression works, and the losses don't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back