Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistor Inverter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pittuck

Hi,

I am using a NPN type transistor to create a inverted version of a PWM signal, i am using a 2n2222a with base connected to the PWM output of a PIC though a resistor (1K).

The emitter to GND and a 4.7k resistor from the collector to 5V and the inverted output will be taken from between the collector and resistor. BUT i also need a buffered version of the original signal, is it possible to get this from the one transistor??

I am modifying my design for a motor controller a bit, i used to use one PWM signal on the enable line of the H-Brisge IC the turn the bridge on/off quickly creating the average voltage over the motors to control speed.

But no i am going to keep the enable high, and put PWM signals on the input pins (2) so i can use a 50% duty to have 0 speed and then control speed and direction through the one 10-bit PWM duty register. It uses more current but should allow much better control over speed!

Regards,

- Martyn

Hi Martyn,
You could put a 4.7K resistor from the transistor's emitter to ground to get a buffered input at its emitter, but it and the collector's amplitude will be half.

A 50-50 duty-cycle for the motor at idle will create a lot of heat. Check-out the way TI idles their PWM in their class-D audio amps. The pulses sort-of overlap. www.ti.com look at Products, audio power amplifiers.

Ok thanks,

Humm, ok.

I was thinking the max difference between base going high and the transistor turning on/off is 300ns, do i have to buffer it? or are there any other inverters i could use (I have quite a few logic chips around, i know i have some hex inverters somewhere, could i use this???)

I will have control of the enable pins, so when idle state is needed i can turn the h-bidge off. The only problem was with the PWM on the enable pins i had to put pwm to 100% and put the direction pins to both on / off which meant extra overhead.

Putting PWM to 50% and then putting a pin low is not as difficult, anyhow, there should be no real problems with power draw when idle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back