Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transistor instead of a relay??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricardoco

i am looking to switch a 240vac 1 amp pump on and off upto 30 times per min 24hrs a day, i have looked at using a relay but for long term use the noise and the life of the relay would make me choose another method , i understand this could be done with a transistor would anyone be able to help me with a component sugestion and if it is not too cheeky a diagram ...thankyou in advance Rick :D

thankyou...your the man.. :D

Ricardoco said:
i am looking to switch a 240vac 1 amp pump on and off upto 30 times per min 24hrs a day, i have looked at using a relay but for long term use the noise and the life of the relay would make me choose another method , i understand this could be done with a transistor would anyone be able to help me with a component sugestion and if it is not too cheeky a diagram ...thankyou in advance Rick :D

You don't switch big stuff off the mains every 2 sec by design. A small motor, especially a pump, takes a lot of surge current to start up. This makes a lot of annoying line noise. It will also stress the mechanical components and may cause either the motor or the pump to fail prematurely.

I would suggest you either go with a motor which can be speed controlled, or lower your turn-on period to something more practical. What are you trying to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back