Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistor ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike-En-Miami

Hello All,

A friend gave me this old 1987 NES system that has this busted transistor. Does anyone know what type it is? Can I buy a new one and if so where?

My background is definitely not electronics, I simply pay enough attention that I know this can be done, capacitor breaks on tv then replace the capacitor not the TV...etc...thought this would be a fun project for my kids and I to see if I can get it back working while teaching the younger gen how things work. We appreciate any help you guys can give us!

Thanks for all your help!

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_4520.jpeg
    IMG_4520.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 197
  • IMG_4525.jpeg
    IMG_4525.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 186
  • IMG_4526.jpeg
    IMG_4526.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 197
Welcome to ETO.

The transistor is not a transistor it is a 30pF trimmer capacitor.

What makes you think that it is faulty?

JimB

Hello Jim,

The truth is I have no idea if it is faulty or not, simply looked like it melted down, but as I look online at other 30pF capacitors they all look the same, melted down, strange they would make them that way! Understand I am a lifelong visual artist not at all an electronics guy, simply beginning to dig a bit deeper into this stuff and learning as I go. Thanks for your help!

MIke

OK Mike, it would be unusual (but not unknown) for a trimmer capacitor like that to be faulty unless someone had been careless when adjusting it.

As for looking melted down, please be assured that they do look like that when fresh out of the packet.

JimB

In my experience, the NES was pretty bullet proof until something got inserted into the cartridge slot incorrectly. I'd guess it's the processor damaged. Sorry.

Mike.

The first question is did your friend tell you it was busted?

Second question is what does it do or not do when powered up?

And a pic of the top to determine which model it is would help (although I suspect it is an SNES).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back