Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transistor help

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuttaphong191

I am looking for a transistor that when its base or gate is not powered, it completes the circuit and when its base or gate is powered it breaks the circuit. Is posible to get this kind of transistor? Thanks

We talked about this recently on other websites.
A Jfet is a depletion-mode device that conducts when its gate-source voltage is zero. Adding the voltage turns it off like a vacuum tube.
It doesn't conduct much current.

Somebody showed that there are depletion-mode Mosfets that are used as RF amplifiers. They also don't conduct much.

bananasiong said:
PNP, on when the base grounded, off when the base approaching supplied voltage.

A PNP transistor starts to turn on when the base is 0.7V below the emitter voltage, and off when the base is less than 0.7V below the emitter voltage. I've basically said the same as you there bananasiong, except I've added the relevance of the emitter voltage.

Brian

I suspect that we might find a better solution if we knew what the OP was trying to accomplish.

You could used an PNP that is biased on, and when you apply current to the base it will turn off. Or you could use the N.C. contacts of a relay.

Gordz said:
You could used an PNP that is biased on, and when you apply current to the base it will turn off. Or you could use the N.C. contacts of a relay.

You could also accomplish the same thing with a normal NPN. When it's not conducting the output will be high, and this could be used as the trigger for another circuit that controls a relay. There are probably thousands of solutions to such an open-ended question; which of these is the best depends on what the OP wants to do.

Brian

ThermalRunaway said:
You could also accomplish the same thing with a normal NPN. Brian

Indeed you can, the OP asked for suggestions and I gave one, as did you.:)

Not at all, I remember, way back, wanting to build things I could not explain properly with things I did not understand fully. When you are starting out it is harder to explain why something can't be built the in the manner you want it to. The OP mentions gates yet does not know transistors ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back