Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transistor HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolf08

i want to make a small transformer, but i have no ac power supplie so i was going to use a transistor to creat pulse dc can you help me find a circuit *I am using a low dc voltage and im trying to step up*

Last edited:
Care to mention the voltages and power requirements?

i want to make a small transformer, but i have no ac power supplie so i was going to use a transistor to creat pulse dc can you help me find a circuit *I am using a low dc voltage and im trying to step up*

What is your input voltage and available current and what is your desired output voltage?

That circuit is not very good because it has a high voltage loss, the output stage of the 555 plus Vbe of the output transistors which will be a couple of volts.

Sorry, the output won't be 230V.

An emitter follower looses 0.6V without a load, about 1V with a load and the 555's output stage looses between up to 2.5V so the voltage delivered to the primary of the transformer will be a couple of V lower than half the power supply voltage.

The transformer will also have more turns on the lower voltage winding than you'd expect, to make up for the losses. For example measure the secondary voltage from a mains transformer with no load connected and it will be up to 25% higher than the voltage rating, so a 6V transformer might measure 7.5V which means that you'll need 7.5V connected to get the rated primary voltage.

If you use a 12V power supply, you'll need to use a 3V transformer to get anywhere near 240V on the output.

I'm still sensing this mental blockade that 15V supply can be transformed into an output even above 150V... the output would shock someone, wouldn't it?

Last edited:
Yes, with the input at 15V and a 4.5V transformer, the output would shock but apart from that, the circuit isn't useful for much else and there are far more effective ways to build a shocker from a mains transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back