Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistor help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akshay123

Hi eveyone, first post on here so please go easy. ;)

Basically I am building a circuit but one of the transistors I have (BC547) did not come with the leg arrangement labelled. I have checked online data sheets but each one has says something different. I have a digital multimeter at home with sockets for transistor legs labelled E, B, C.

Is there an easy way using the meter that I can check to see what leg is what please?

Hi eveyone, first post on here so please go easy. ;)

Basically I am building a circuit but one of the transistors I have (BC547) did not come with the leg arrangement labelled. I have checked online data sheets but each one has says something different. I have a digital multimeter at home with sockets for transistor legs labelled E, B, C.

Is there an easy way using the meter that I can check to see what leg is what please?

hi,
Who is the manufacturer of your BC547.?? its a 'logo' on the device.

Attachments

• AAAimage06.gif
    AAAimage06.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Hi I bought it from Maplin but couldn't see a manufacturer logo on it. I would like to make sure using the multimeter because I've been having problems with the circuit and this transistor plays a key role in doing what I want to achieve.

Hi I bought it from Maplin but couldn't see a manufacturer logo on it. I would like to make sure using the multimeter because I've been having problems with the circuit and this transistor plays a key role in doing what I want to achieve.

Look at this image from a text book.

Using a multimeter on resistance or 'diode' function you should be able to measure the base to emitter junction [ approx 800R]

Attachments

• tran_test1.png
    tran_test1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 197
I have little sockets on the multimeter labelled E, B, C so how do I use this feature to find out what leg is what on the transistor? It's been driving me nuts for ages and I can't get my circuit to work without frying each transistor through trial and error! :confused:

I have little sockets on the multimeter labelled E, B, C so how do I use this feature to find out what leg is what on the transistor? It's been driving me nuts for ages and I can't get my circuit to work without frying each transistor through trial and error! :confused:

Have you tried using the multimeter as described in my last post.??

Post your circuit so that we can check it out.

Stick the transistor in the socket and select the 'transistor test' on the multimeter. If your multimeter is anything like my old one, it will display the hfe (gain). Try different positions until you get the highest gain, and then you'll know what the pinout is.

Stick the transistor in the socket and select the 'transistor test' on the multimeter. If your multimeter is anything like my old one, it will display the hfe (gain). Try different positions until you get the highest gain, and then you'll know what the pinout is.

Hi there, so what you're saying is that after experimenting with different leg positions in the multimeter, the arrangement that produces the highest reading on the screen is the correct one?

This is my multimeter - which setting should the dial be on to test the transistor, assuming its an NPN?

http://www.ingram-tech.com/products/meter.jpg

This is the circuit I am trying to build. The transistor in question (BC547) is TR1.

Do you see the black outline around the trasistor test socket on your meter, and how the two sides of the line are extended over to the "hFE" switch position? That is the switch position.

Use the socket of the "NPN" side.

Last edited:
Thanks bud, a picture really does paint a thousand words! I'll try that when I get the chance and report back when done. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back