Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transistor bias / saturation

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a different application

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
I am going by the measurments that another member informed me of.

With no resistance only 2 of the 3 segments light up. At 61 ohms they all work and just to see I stuck another 82 ohms in series and they also all worked with no change in brightness. I think too much voltage saturates the sequencer circuit, but resisters are built in to the led circuit. The 3.5 amps is wrong. I had my meter on a/c. I checked it with the 61 ohms at 13.5v and read 13.125mA dc peak.

Using several different simulation programs
none seem to agree.
One site stated that with a 100ohm relay coil, a 2n2222 transistor,
6Vcc, hfe =100 using the output of a cmos ic
it stated that a 1800-2000 ohm base resistor to achieve saturation.
Tried same figures in **broken link removed**
using both simulations on that site.
Then input same into TINA and a different set of figures.
Am trying to understand how to caculate saturation. I think its when the collector voltage is near the emitter voltage (.7v or less) but the base needs to have a small amount of voltage (.7v) and control of the current to the base to achieve saturation.
formula I found is Rb = .2 X Rl x hfe
again sorry for the misunderstanding.

Nearly all transistor datasheets say that the base current must be 1/10th the collector current to guarantee a low saturation voltage.
hFE is used when the transistor is not saturated.

Thanks

I entered and rechecked cals and yes it works in the simulations
THANKS again
I show 16ma collector and 1.65 on the base
do these figures hold true for darlingtons as well? 1/10
and the formula Rb=.2 X Rl X hfe

do these figures hold true for darlingtons as well? 1/10
and the formula Rb=.2 X Rl X hfe
Of course not. A darlington is two transistors. Look at the datasheet. The TIP120 saturates well when its base current is 1/250th of the collector current.

The formula you found is wrong. hFE is not used for a switching saturating transistor. The base current should be 1/10th the collecor current and Ohm's Law is used to calculate the base resistor value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back