Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistor base voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark

I need help regarding transistor base voltage. I attach a pic in which the transistor is wired to monitor over current .
My question is about the high voltage application to the base (Q1(B)) , most datasheet says maximum -5~-7V as maximum base voltage. Can we apply high voltage in this manner.
ww13.JPG
Thanks

deleted

Hi,

When they talk about the base emitter voltage like that they mean 'reverse' voltage. That means when the voltage switches the transistor 'off' if the base emitter voltage goes opposite to what turns it on then it must be about 5v or less. If the reverse voltage goes up too high it blows out the base emitter diode.

Normally a transistor connected as a current sense (small resistor base to emitter) does not experience too high of a reverse voltage because it would take far too much current to drive that small resistor to have a large voltage across it, so in this application this isnt usually a problem.

What could be a problem when a transistor is used like this is the base current could becomes too large for a short time due to a high surge current in the load which then drives the base too hard. To remedy this usually a small resistance like 100 ohms is placed in series with the base, which does not change the normal operation too much.

I need help regarding transistor base voltage. I attach a pic in which the transistor is wired to monitor over current .
My question is about the high voltage application to the base (Q1(B)) , most datasheet says maximum -5~-7V as maximum base voltage. Can we apply high voltage in this manner.

You're not applying high voltage to the base - voltages are relative - and while it's high relative to where it's been measured from, it's VERY low in relation to the base/emitter (which are joined by a 0.1 ohm resistor).

As others have mentioned, the limitation in the datasheet is for reverse zener breakdown of the base/emitter junction, which would require in excess of 70 amps flowing the wrong way through the 0.1 ohm (pretty unlikely, and almost certainly totally impossible).

The use of small resistances to switch a transistor 'ON' is often found when a 'PASS' power transistor is used to increase Voltage regulator currents.

Here is a useful explanation and diagram.
**broken link removed**

FYI, Reverse zener breakdown IS used as a feature for fast pulse devices. Some transistors tolerate this, it's a voltage phenomenon. Usually you have to characterize them and bin them for these types of circuits.

The use of small resistances to switch a transistor 'ON' is often found when a 'PASS' power transistor is used to increase Voltage regulator currents.

Here is a useful explanation and diagram.
**broken link removed**

FYI, Reverse zener breakdown IS used as a feature for fast pulse devices. Some transistors tolerate this, it's a voltage phenomenon. Usually you have to characterize them and bin them for these types of circuits.

What has this got to do with this post?, absolutely nothing? - just adding confusion by posting about something entirely different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back