Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistor as a switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnl69

Can a Transistor be used as a N/C switch so that it allows current to pass when there is no current at the base?

johnl69 said:
Can a Transistor be used as a N/C switch so that it allows current to pass when there is no current at the base?

A MOSFET is a transistor that has no current at its gate whether on or off. You could setup a p-channel MOSFET as normally closed, as 0V on its gate would be considered "ON", and positive voltage at its gate would shut it off...

No, not a BJT.

A JFET acts like a normally on switch, when the junction is biased by a negative voltage it turns off.

Cheers guys :D

So in the circuit attached when the switch is pressed the bulb should go out and the LED should light up

Attachments

• jfet.jpg
    jfet.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 209
Does it need a resistor or does the Jfet provide the resistance ?

killivolt said:
Does it need a resistor or does the Jfet provide the resistance ?

I dont know the one ive picked is rated at 25v but I will be switching 12V (not 9v as it shows in the diagram)

**broken link removed**

That won't work.

Notice, that I said that JUGFETs reuquire a negative voltage to turn off so you need to reverse the battery connected to the gate.

Also, you haven't included a series resistor so the LED will be toast.

How much current does the bulb draw?

JUGFETs tend to be low power devices which will be overloaded by the bulb.

Hero999 said:
That won't work.

Notice, that I said that JUGFETs reuquire a negative voltage to turn off so you need to reverse the battery connected to the gate.

Also, you haven't included a series resistor so the LED will be toast.

How much current does the bulb draw?

JUGFETs tend to be low power devices which will be overloaded by the bulb.

If I turned the battery connected to the gate around wouldnt it short out?(I am planning on using 1 supply.

I am not turning a bulb on its a relay that I am switching I just did that simple diagram the one below is what im building,

what should happen is;

For the motor to turn sw1 and sw3 need to be open and sw2 to be closed, if any of the switch is in a different postion(open when it should be closed) the motor will stop and an LED will light turn on, except for D3 which turns on when the motor is running.

I am trying to make this with the minimum amount of component.

Attachments

• topup3.jpg
    topup3.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
What are the voltage and current requirements of your relay coil?
In your schematic, which needs some help, it looks like D3 is on when the motor is on, not D1.
Do you really need all 3 LEDs?

Roff said:
What are the voltage and current requirements of your relay coil?
In your schematic, which needs some help, it looks like D3 is on when the motor is on, not D1.
Do you really need all 3 LEDs?

Sorry yes D3 turns on not D1. the Led's will be mounted away from the switches which are liquid level sensors (float switches) the LED's are to give a quick referrence of which switch is in what state.

The relay requires 12v 35mv
**broken link removed**

johnl69 said:
If I turned the battery connected to the gate around wouldnt it short out?(I am planning on using 1 supply.

I am not turning a bulb on its a relay that I am switching I just did that simple diagram the one below is what im building,

what should happen is;

For the motor to turn sw1 and sw3 need to be open and sw2 to be closed, if any of the switch is in a different postion(open when it should be closed) the motor will stop and an LED will light turn on, except for D3 which turns on when the motor is running.

I am trying to make this with the minimum amount of component.
If the relay and D3 are energized when the motor is running, then SW1 will be closed, not open as you said. Am I confused, or are you? If it's me, I apologize. If it's you, why don't you try to restate the problem?

Roff said:
If the relay and D3 are energized when the motor is running, then SW1 will be closed, not open as you said. Am I confused, or are you? If it's me, I apologize. If it's you, why don't you try to restate the problem?

Your right its me that got confused :D (it was late)

I'll start again;

for the motor to run SW1 and SW3 need to be closed and SW2 needs to be open,

when SW1 is open the motor stop and all lights are out,

when SW2 is closed the motor stops and D2 is lit,

when SW3 is open the motor stops and D1 is lit,

Edit; D1/D2 are removed fromm the drawing below any ideas of where to connect them?

Attachments

• topup3.jpg
    topup3.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
Doesn't he have to control the back emf so that the low voltage circuit will be uneffected if this is an a/c motor ?

killivolt said:
Doesn't he have to control the back emf so that the low voltage circuit will be uneffected if this is an a/c motor ?

The motor is a water pump which will be sited at least a meter away from the control unit, would the relay and the transformer isolate any feedback?

Actually I'm new at this and it may not prove to be a problem I'm still a learning. But as is with speakers there is somewhat of a problem with control input when you have mains voltage and I'm just not sure about your circuit we need help.

I'm sorry for confusing you don't pay any attention to me I'll remain quiet.

johnl69 said:
Your right its me that got confused :D (it was late)

I'll start again;

for the motor to run SW1 and SW3 need to be closed and SW2 needs to be open,

when SW1 is open the motor stop and all lights are out,

when SW2 is closed the motor stops and D2 is lit,

when SW3 is open the motor stops and D1 is lit,

Edit; D1/D2 are removed fromm the drawing below any ideas of where to connect them?
You can use the circuit below if you don't absolutely have to have D1 and D2.
If you need D1 and D2, take a look at the truth table below and correct it, if necessary.
Code:
SW1  SW2  SW3  D1     D2     D3    Motor
O    O    O    off    off    off    off
O    O    C    off    off    off    off
O    C    O    off    off    off    off
O    C    C    off    off    off    off
C    O    O    on     off    off    off
C    O    C    off    off    on     on
C    C    O    on     on     off    off
C    C    C    off    on     off    off

Attachments

• relay driver2.PNG
    relay driver2.PNG
    27.9 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Thanks for that :D but I relly do need all three LED's, as these will be warning lights, I have rearanged the true table.

Code:
SW1  SW2  SW3  D1     D2     D3    Motor
O    O    O    on     off    off    off
O    O    C    off    off    off    off
O    C    O    on     on     off    off
O    C    C    off    on     off    off
C    O    O    on     off    off    off
C    O    C    off    off    on     on
C    C    O    on     on     off    off
C    C    C    off    on     off    off

Last edited:
If I put an LED in series with SW2(between SW2 and ground) would that then light up when the switch is in the close position.

johnl69 said:
If I put an LED in series with SW2(between SW2 and ground) would that then light up when the switch is in the close position.
The voltage drop of the LED would also allow the transistor to turn on, which is not what you want.
I think the simplest design for you is going to require a 14-pin quad gate package, a couple of transistors, and a few resistors. A microcontroller might require less hardware, but I don't think you have the capability to program one.
I'll work on a design as i have time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back