Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistor 29999, Need help identifying this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

69Camaronut

Can anyone identify this transistor. I'm looking for a Datasheet on it. I can't seem to find it in any of my books. I've never seen a a number with a circle around it. I tried looking it up as 2N9999 and still nothing. 2 9999 Transistor.jpg

Can anyone identify this transistor. I'm looking for a Datasheet on it. I can't seem to find it in any of my books. I've never seen a a number with a circle around it. I tried looking it up as 2N9999 and still nothing.View attachment 74562
The numbers have obviously been added to the photograph. They are not printed on the transistor.

I added the part number text because its hard to see. Look across the lower section.
Also if you click on the first photo posted it has the actual dimensions of the part.
Here is the actual photo.
photo.JPG

This transistor was used from 1966-1975 by GM. I cant afford to guess at a replacement because it could set my 69 Z/28's electrical harness on fire. I've had the car 37 years and it would be nuts to experiment with it. Someone must know exactly that this is.

WTP Pepper, nice link, I haven't even been able to find another case style like this.

I have substitution books going back to 1971 but a local Electrical Parts Distributor said even though the part was used until 1975 it may have only been in production for a year or two and replaced by a better transistor.

Last edited:
The number is probably an "in-house" number from the company that made the circuit board.
Just to make it difficulty/impossible for users to arrange their own repairs.

Why do you think that this transistor is faulty?
Or, are you just trying to reverse engineer an old piece of equipment?

What is it anyway?

JimB

It stopped lighting up the Low Fuel lamp on the dash and I'd rather try to fix the original which is better to have and only a few cents for a transistor then to pay 55 dollars for a Chinese replica that a lot of friends have said burn out on occasion and take the fuel gauge with it.:confused:

The 2Nseries ends at about 2N7xxx, and those high numbers are more modern parts, so it's very unlikely to be a 2N9999.

It will be easy enough to find a replacement if you post good photos of both sides of the PCB so we can work out the circuit. It's most likely just a small signal NPN.

This transistor was used from 1966-1975 by GM. I cant afford to guess at a replacement because it could set my 69 Z/28's electrical harness on fire...

bs, any low-level switching transistor will work. First thing you need to determine is if it is NPN or PNP. As long as the Vce is > 20V, there are probably are hundreds of general purpose transistors that will work...

That is the JEDEC TO-98 package which is obsolete---used back in the 70's.

"electrical harness on fire" Hu? It takes a LOT more to set the harness on fire than a simple shorted transistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back