Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transient Suppressor ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

Hi all:
I have an app that is popping paralleled TV 1.5KE33CA units.
I guess they are clamping at slightly different voltages and popping in sequence, one at a time.

As opposed to placing some .01 ohm current shunts to equalize loading, how about using some lower voltage units in series to share the load?

What about putting a polyfuse in series beforehand? It'll kick in and shut it all down until the problem goes away.

EDIT: Do you have an idea of what kind of overload conditions are happening? Duration? Levels?

Last edited:
Ah ok, polyfuse wont kick in quick enough then.

Sounds to me like you need a suitable snubber? Is there no kickback diode either?

Got it working with a pair of 1.5KE36CA limited by 1 Ω resistors.
They run hot (92°C) without forced air cooling, but I'll add that.
They're each handling about 25A for 0.25%DC.
The kickback voltage has dropped to around 40V (from 55V) with less ringing, so the FET switch shouldn't avalanche.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back