Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transient response and resonance

Status
Not open for further replies.

adedayo2011

Hi guys,

Please I want to know the relationship between a transient response and an excessively damped resonance.

Thanks.

Yeah, I have read the wikipedia article and understood transient response. The problem is relating it to 'excessively' damped resonance. Am kind of confused!

Overdamped An overdamped response is the response that does not oscillate about the steady-state value but takes longer to reach than the critically damped case. Here Damping Ratio is >1

You say you're confused but don't state what you're confused about in the specific case. The definition of overdamped is pretty clear.

Hi guys,

Please I want to know the relationship between a transient response and an excessively damped resonance.

Thanks.

Hello there,

The over damped response is what you want to look at. It's characterized by the lack of sinusoidal components. It's a steady increase (or decrease) until the final value is reached, rather than moving up and down before that point.
There is also a damped oscillation where there are sinusoidal components but they die out after some time period determined by the exponential factor, so you may want to look at that too (the first graph in that previous wiki link).

The three different types of responses are called:
under damped, critically damped, and over damped.
The difference between these three different classes of responses comes from the damping ratio or damping factor.
Try looking at this:
Damping ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are simpler ways to determine the damping ratio however than that article shows.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back