Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

popsik

if i want to make my own transformer... how to know how many windings should be on first side of the coil and on the second side of the coil...
for example: i want to make a transformer wich will take 12 Volts and transform it into like 500 volts or even more...

It's the same relationship between input/output voltage as primary/secondary windings.
Relationship is U_input/U_output = primaryWindings/secondaryWindongs

What kind of application is it for? Flyback transformer?

I assume you already know that a transformer doesn't just work out of the box, espechially not for DC voltages.

Last edited:
i know that transformers only work for ac i just gave you an example...
so you mean that if on one side of the transformer i have 100 windings and on the other side i have 200 windings that means my transfromer will multiply volts by 2?

i know that transformers only work for ac i just gave you an example...
so you mean that if on one side of the transformer i have 100 windings and on the other side i have 200 windings that means my transfromer will multiply volts by 2?
Yes, that is correct.

Hello,

U2/U1=N .. I1/I2=N ..

Do you have the other parameters ? Heat dissipation, how many metal sheets you need, their dimensions, magnetic flux, wire diameter and stuff like that ?

The next thing you have to work out is the size of the transformer (actually the size of the core - the centre leg of the transformer). Basically, for 50Hz (60Hz) transformer, each 500gm will produce a 15VA (watt) transformer.

Either, iron in General.
If you know your maximum voltage input at the lowest frequency of operation then you can determine the square area that the core needs to be.
And how many turns to use for the primary.
jer :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back