Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformers: Series + Parallel

Status
Not open for further replies.

George L.

Hello,

I have two transformers. One is 220:1 from a camera flash circuit and another completely different transformer is 10:1.

If I wire the primaries in series and the secondaries in parallel...will the total ratio be 230:1?

would really appreciate some help.

thanks,

George L.

The short answer is no. Why do you want to do this? If the purpose is to get more voltage out of the secondary, is the difference between 1:220 and 1:230 worth the trouble? Why not just boost the primary voltage?

I guess if your voltage was close to the breakdown voltage on the primary it would help. This question's a real noodle-scratcher though, what would the ratio become?

Hey,

the reason i am asking is because I have the stun gun project on my breadboard. It can produce 400V at 7mA max. This is using the 220:1 transformer. I need a higher Voltage out. I thought I could put a different 10:1 transformer is series/parallel as described in my first post and get 4000V.

I guess you can't do this, right?

thanks,

George L.

George L. said:
Hey,

the reason i am asking is because I have the stun gun project on my breadboard. It can produce 400V at 7mA max. This is using the 220:1 transformer. I need a higher Voltage out. I thought I could put a different 10:1 transformer is series/parallel as described in my first post and get 4000V.

I guess you can't do this, right?

thanks,

George L.

Perhaps your choice of words "series/parallel" is a bit confusing.
What you can do is feed the secondary of transformer A to the primary of transformer B. This gives you an approximate output of the ratio of A x B at the secondary of B.
However, the primary of B MUST be able to withstand the higher input voltage and the secondary of B the much higher output voltage.
If transformer B is totally encapsulated in epoxy or such you might have a chance but do exercise extreme caution.
Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back