Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformerless Power Supply Safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan

Hello:

Is it safe to use a surplus transormerless/switching power supply for a small project. I am referring to the small ones commonly supplied with cellphones etc. I assume they must somehow isolate the mains from the output somehow.??

Don't assume that it's regulated just because it's a SMPS, many cheap switchers aren't regulated, espcially the small wallwart variety.

Thank for the replies. I also note it is not very clean either, a lot of noise showing on my scope.

Well I found a small 5vdc 800ma wall wart switcher supply that looks like it was used for a cell phone. I put my scope on it and it measures 5vdc even unloaded and has about 24mv AC ripple on the DC output.

It's very small and light so I assume it's a switcher. I used an ohm meter and DC output seems to measure isolated from AC terminals.

Lefty

The output will be isolated from the input - it's the law.

The only connections between the input and output will be a transformer, an opto-isolator and there might be some low value (4.7nF typical) high voltage (Y2 rated, 2kV) RF suppression capacitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back