Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuttaphong191

I have a question about a transformer. I need to know about the input voltage. If i were to buy a neon sign transformer that says it is an input (primary) of 120 volts and an output (secondary) of 15 kilovolts, do I have to give it 120 volts on the primary? The ending voltage does not matter. All I need to know is if I give it a different voltage, will it still work?

My second question is: Can I flip a transformer around and put voltage on the secondary to get a different on the primary? Just wondering!!!

Yes. It should step up any AC voltage by the same proportion as 120v. If the voltage gets too high however, the insulation in the secondary windings will break down.

Yes as well on the 2nd question, you can put an AC voltage across the secondary and it will be stepped down in the primary. Just keep in mind that secondary windings are typically of much finer gauge wire and might have a great many turns. The impedance will be significant.

What's important in a transformer is the turn-ratio and determines what output you'll get for a given input. In this case if you put in an input of 100V you'll get 100 * (15Kv/ 120) V.

What sort of transformer is it?

Does it have an steel laminate core or is it an electronic transfromer?

An electronic transformer works by converting the AC into DC, using a rectifier, then converts it back to AC which a high frequency oscillator, it is then converted to 15kV using a small transformer with an iron dust core.

If it's has a laminated steel core then it'll work much make sure that if the frequency is lower the voltage is reduced proportionally and if the voltage is increased the frequency should also be increased but be careful or too higher voltage will destroy the insulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back