Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

IIdiong

Hi guys,
I am interested in building a power transformer, I need informatio on how to start and complete one.
thanks

You need to know what rating in VA's you need,
what is the primary voltage you want to use it on,
secondary voltage (s) for the load.
Source the punched soft iron laminations for the core.
varnished wire and insulated paper.
Quite a bit of work for a one off project.

It's cheaper to buy one or get one via a secondhand shop.

you could make one yourself, but you will need all the materials and equipment, plus you will know how to design it.

off the shelf will be sooooooooo much easier;)

If you have a requirement for an odd voltage then you could buy one and rewind it to your specification but I don't see the point of making one from scratch and the mains primary might not be safe it you don't know what you're doing.

I need to buid a step-up transformer, from 120V to 240V. I know this will require a bit of work and time, but I just want to get one done.

RODALCO said:
You need to know what rating in VA's you need,
what is the primary voltage you want to use it on,
secondary voltage (s) for the load.
Source the punched soft iron laminations for the core.
varnished wire and insulated paper.
Quite a bit of work for a one off project.

It's cheaper to buy one or get one via a secondhand shop.

I need to buid a step-up transformer, from 120V to 240V. I know this will require a bit of work and time, but I just want to get one done.

IIdiong said:

Buy one!, they are freely available - look for 'auto-transformer' (these are non-isolated), winding your own is likely to cost considerably more, not to mention the safety implications.

what sort of power do you want?

something here should do it

IIdiong said:
That's a pretty common requirement, anyway why can't you wire it hot to hot like a water heater of air conditiong unit then you won't need a transformer at all?

Hero999 said:
That's a pretty common requirement, anyway why can't you wire it hot to hot like a water heater of air conditiong unit then you won't need a transformer at all?

Interesting suggestion from someone in the UK? (where that doesn't apply), and where you don't know what country the poster is in - as he's not filled his location in!.

As it happens he is in the USA, so it would be OK.

Transformator formulas

I wrote today how you can wind a transformator.
You can use it to make higher to small or small to higher voltage.
Find reply thread Costume made transformer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back