Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electroenthusiast

I know that transformer work on 'change in magnetic flux principle'.
In the below diagram, there's a transformer with its primary windings connected to mains; and the secondary windings is connected to a load. The flow of current through the load is controlled by a switch. When switch is open, there's no current through load and when switch is closed, then there's current through the load.

My question is:
>'Whether the Current through primary windings OFF/ON based on the the Switch connected to load?'
>On what factors does the maximum output current of transformer depend (Like: rated 500mA/ 1A) ?

Attachments

• trans.jpg
    trans.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 441
Posted by colin55 https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/ve-logic-transformers.108180/
colin55 said:
Energy - the multiplication of volts and amps (watts) is transferred from the primary to the secondary via the magnetic path or circuit made up of the core (the laminations). It's a bit like someone filling a bucket at the beach with water from a small cup and someone else removing the water with a small cup.
When the secondary switch is open, the bucket gets filled and the person stops filling.
If there is a slight leak in the bucket, the person adds a little water every few minutes.
This is exactly like the transformer with the secondary switch open.
The incoming voltage very quickly fills the magnetic circuit with flux and this flux opposes the incoming flux so that current falls to a very small value.
This occurs on every positive and negative half-cycle.
When the switch is closed, the secondary circuit removes some of the flux and the incoming waveform delivers more current for a longer part of the half-cycle – in attempt to fully fill the magnetic circuit with energy - flux.
The magnetic circuit is a bit like this:
Imagine a bucket at the beach with a pipe halfway down the bucket and this small pipe going into a second bucket.
The first person fills the bucket and the second person empties the second bucket, but the small pipe between the two buckets limits the rate at which the water can be removed from the second bucket.
This is the limitation of the magnetic circuit.
It can only transfer a certain amount of energy and this limits the wattage of the transformer.

Thanks For the answer!.. You bought an idea to me
Can you please suggest me a book for this(I've searched in many books)? Google Book would do...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back