Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

XL-power

hi all...
i don't know if my question can be called a question but i have to ...

i bought a transformer written on it (I/P: 120 v AC 60Hz 8W)
and i leave in a countrey which uses (I/P: 100-240 v AC 50Hz)
is there any problem if i pulg the transformer in?

If the input voltage is 100VAC 50Hz, no problem.

If the input voltage is 240VAC, flames!

Only if the voltage exceeds 130VAC

Don't you mean the transformer (which is really an SMPS) is rated to 100-240VAC and the voltage where you live is 120V 60Hz? If so it's no problem.

Only if the voltage exceeds 130VAC

Don't you mean the transformer (which is really an SMPS) is rated to 100-240VAC and the voltage where you live is 120V 60Hz? If so it's no problem.

thanks hero

no,the transformer is 120VAC 60 Hz, and where i live rated to 100-240 VAC

Last edited:
... where i live rated to 100-240 VAC

This statement makes no sense. The line voltage where you live is only a specific voltage, like 220V. It might vary +-3%, so from 213 to 226V.

I don't know anywhere in the world where the voltage tolerance is that wide.

You will most likely have different sockets, some giving 100V and others 240V. I know this is the case in the US and even in the UK albeit in factories not homes.

Where is your house?

This is why it's important to fill your location in properly. Don't worry this need not compromise your anonymity, just put down they country where you live.

Last edited:
I don't know anywhere in the world where the voltage tolerance is that wide.

You will most likely have different sockets, some giving 100V and others 240V. I know this is the case in the US and even in the UK albeit in factories not homes.

Where is your house?

This is why it's important to fill your location in properly. Don't worry this need not compromise your anonymity, just put down they country where you live.

well
i live in arab country, Sultanate of Oman... hope that you know it :)

the voltage tolerance is 240VAC 50Hz

That doesn't make any sense, tolerance is the tolerated range of values i.e. 240V with a tolerance of 10% is 216V to 254V.

You mean the voltage is 240VAC 50Hz.

I researched it for you.
Electricity & Water | Residents | Live Work Explore Oman

If the transformer is 120V, it will require another transformer to convert the 240V to the 120V required for your transformer.

If the transformer is 100V to 240V then it will be fine because it means it can accept any voltage between 100V to 240V.

Last edited:
That doesn't make any sense, tolerance is the tolerated range of values i.e. 240V with a tolerance of 10% is 216V to 254V.

You mean the voltage is 240VAC 50Hz.

I researched it for you.
Electricity & Water | Residents | Live Work Explore Oman

If the transformer is 120V, it will require another transformer to convert the 240V to the 120V required for your transformer.

If the transformer is 100V to 240V then it will be fine because it means it can accept any voltage between 100V to 240V.

yes, i get your point ,thanks alot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back