Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer wiring help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnson777717

Good day all!

I've been working with DC circuits and DC related items for a while now. I'm just getting into AC circuits (Ex power supplies etc.)

I have everything down, except transformers, how to wire them and such. I'm working on a 100w guitar amplifier, but I'm a little confused on the transformer issues, for the power supply. Schematic and info here:
**broken link removed**

Does anyone have any useful links on transformers, trnasformer wiring tutorials etc. I really don't want to destroy my project by experimenting with 110 volts, high amperage etc.

I appreciate your time and effort. Have a safe new years, if you celebrate.

Johnson777717 said:
Good day all!

I've been working with DC circuits and DC related items for a while now. I'm just getting into AC circuits (Ex power supplies etc.)

I have everything down, except transformers, how to wire them and such. I'm working on a 100w guitar amplifier, but I'm a little confused on the transformer issues, for the power supply. Schematic and info here:
**broken link removed**

Does anyone have any useful links on transformers, trnasformer wiring tutorials etc. I really don't want to destroy my project by experimenting with 110 volts, high amperage etc.

I appreciate your time and effort. Have a safe new years, if you celebrate.

There's not really a lot to know - you connect the mains to the primary, and the bridge rectifier to the secondary. Your transformer should have the connections printed on it, or printed on an enclosed piece of paper.

The amplifier in question is pretty standard, presumably you are wanting to use 110V mains? - if so make sure you get a transformer with ONLY a single 110V primary - that way you can't possibly wire it incorrectly (transformers are available with two primary windings, connect them in parallel for 110V and in series for 220V - if you don't need it, don't get one!).

The secondary side is 25-0-25, you may be able to get a transformer like that, or only a 0-25, 0-25 (that's two separate windings) - it's not a problem, all you need to do is connect 25 of one to 0 of the other, this junction becomes the -0-, the two other connections become the two 25V connections (this is all the 25-0-25 does anyway).

The PSU is made considerably more 'complicated' by the addition of a second bridge rectifer, a resistor, and a capacitor - this is to prevent earth loops - I don't know how effective it might be, but I'm considering trying it on the bass guitar amp I'm building (I'm also building a lead amp as well, but the bass is first).

Mr. Goodwin, I presume it is Mr. If not, I apologize.

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain this to me. I had a feeling that transformer wiring wasn't all that complicated. Thus, your explanations have made me more confident. Nevertheless, I wanted to check before diving into the wiring. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back