Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer winding advise needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkdale44

Just need a little advise, i am not that much experienced in electronics that is why i am compelled to ask this.
Does it matter whether i wind primary and feedback beneath secondary or above it? Will it make any difference?
The transformer i am talking about is for cfl driver.

Usually the primary is first.
The secondary is usually next to keep the P to S coupling tight.

You could wind in a different order. It will work.

The feedback winding is usually only a small number of turns. If it was first the primary will have bumps as it passes over the FB winding.

Usually the primary is first.
The secondary is usually next to keep the P to S coupling tight.

You could wind in a different order. It will work.

The feedback winding is usually only a small number of turns. If it was first the primary will have bumps as it passes over the FB winding.

So first primary then feedback then secondary.. Is this the right order?

Any order will work. It's desirable to have the primary closest to the core.
Choose other winding order to 'minimize lumps".

pick: 1000T 20 AWG pri. 3 T 18 AWG sec and 200 T 18 AWG sec. You would want the 3 turns spread out over the core, so it would not be a good choice for the second layer.

For a step-up transformer on a toroid core, it may be easier to wind the secondary first. We don't know that this is going to be a toroid core, of course.

John

Any order will work. It's desirable to have the primary closest to the core.
Choose other winding order to 'minimize lumps".

pick: 1000T 20 AWG pri. 3 T 18 AWG sec and 200 T 18 AWG sec. You would want the 3 turns spread out over the core, so it would not be a good choice for the second layer.

Once you get a thousand turns on it; most likely the lumps won't matter much. He could wind something in between the 3t to help smooth it out first.

Is it a toroid core? If so, that "recipe" is pretty close to what we use for model CDI ignitions.

John

Is it a toroid core? If so, that "recipe" is pretty close to what we use for model CDI ignitions.

John
Nope its ferrite core is "E" shaped. You know those little ones.
I have exactly like this one.
Only difference is mine has 4 pins on one side and two on the other side.
10w-small-electron-transformer-ZDEE16-15L10.jpg

I usually wind the highest current winding on first, irrespective of it being primary or secondary, you want the highest current winding to be closest to the core so losses are minimal.
For step up the primary current is higher, stepdown the reverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back