Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer turns ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

lecto1234

hi all
I need some help with a transformer problem ,getting problem to determine the turns ratio
my Vs=150 and Vp=225
also Ip=5 and Is=7.5 I divided 225/150 and got 1.5 however the actual turns ratio the book states is 3:2 how do I proceed in working this to get 3:2 I tried Np/Ns=Vs/Vp but still not getting true

And 3/2 is?

Your approcing the problem wrong:

225/150; you need to use the least common divisor.

because it ends in 5, numerator and denominator are divisible by 5 any you get 45/30
So continue.

Your answer is 1.5:1 which is 3/2; it's also 15/10 or 3/2 or 3:2
Code:
1.5    10
--- *  ---
1      10

Take the ----- as divide and 10/10 to be 1.

Another way is to factor 225 and 150 and cancel like terms in numerator and denominator.
(5*45)/(5*30)
and keep continuing.

Last edited:
Hi,

You do use a formula, but then you try to get rid of the fractional part and express both numbers as whole numbers. For your example you get:
1.5/1

and if you multiply top and bottom by 2, you get:
3/2

and that is the same as 3:2 so you see how easy this is.

If we had a different transformer and we got:
1.3333/1

then we would multiply top and bottom by 3 to get:
4/3

which is the same as 4:3, and notice this time we rounded a little.

When using the formula Vp/Vs for your problem we get a single number:
Vp/Vs=225/150=1.5

but as im sure you can see we can write this as:
1.5/1

and then we just see what it takes to get that top number to be a whole number through multiplication. Since if we multiply 1.5 times 2, we use the factor '2' on both the top and the bottom to arrive at the 3/2 and then we may just write it as 3:2 instead.

Since this is an ideal power xformer, Vp*Ip=Vs*Is, so Vp:Vs and Ip:Is and Np:Ns is related by the same proportionality constant.

It's just that a typical "ratio" is the ratio of 2 integers. A "math" thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back