Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer signal help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm building a circuit that must send a 15V signal to IGBT but must be isolated. My first part of the circuit has a 300V difference between the second part and therefore cannot share the same ground. This signal must not have more than a 300ns delay to the output. I thought of using a transformer - any other ideas will be welcome.

I built an oscillating circuit - this is my signal source.
I then power a TC4428A chip to give an AC signal to drive a transformer, this chip has an inverting and non inverting output.
The transformer has 20 turns primary to 10turns secondary wound on a ferrite core.
I manage to get a perfect squarewave out of the transformer.

This is my problem - When I connect it to a comparator I get an output but when I connect this output to anything else I get a huge amount of noise coming from the comparator - I have tried 393 and 311's and they do the same. I'm not sure what part is wrong. The output needs to be able to drive a TC4422A mosfet driver chip.

I can provide pictures if neccessary, I cannot have any more that a 300ns delay between the signal input and the output. I do not want to use high side driver chips as the voltage difference in my circuit may become 700V in the future - I'm not aware of any cheap high side driver chips that can do this, please notify me if there are any.

hi,
Have you considered an opto coupler, for example this type.

Attachments

• 6N137 Series.pdf
    267.5 KB · Views: 205
I first went for optocouplers but was struggling to find cheap ones without buying in bulk + I bought a load of stuff for transformers a while ago but didnt use it so I had a go with it.

That optocoupler is what Im looking for although I really could do with it to run at 15V due to all of my circuits running at this + I dont want to have to modify my power supply, can you think of any other ones - I could resort to these voltages in the end but dont really want to.

thanks

Last edited:
That was the biggest problem, I remember them having 1 - 2us rise/fall times which is far too slow, when I found the fast ones I couldnt get them and the voltages were a little low. What I'm doing is driving an IGBT, I have seen many people drive them directly with a transformer but I find voltage spikes quickly kill them. So I thought of using the transformer to drive a comparator to then drive a IGBT driver chip which drives the IGBT. Im having a lot of trouble with the signal from the transformer driving anything. I think my problem may be that I have too many turns on the transformer and at these speeds 50-100kHz the impedance is too high and therefore not enough current coming form the secondary. What do you think?

That was the biggest problem, I remember them having 1 - 2us rise/fall times which is far too slow, when I found the fast ones I couldnt get them and the voltages were a little low. What I'm doing is driving an IGBT, I have seen many people drive them directly with a transformer but I find voltage spikes quickly kill them. So I thought of using the transformer to drive a comparator to then drive a IGBT driver chip which drives the IGBT. Im having a lot of trouble with the signal from the transformer driving anything. I think my problem may be that I have too many turns on the transformer and at these speeds 50-100kHz the impedance is too high and therefore not enough current coming form the secondary. What do you think?

hi,
Would you post details of the home wound coupling transformer.?

Attachments

• DSC00694.JPG
    DSC00694.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 173

Attachments

• sfmatgra_frnt.pdf
    64.3 KB · Views: 319
I think it could be possible but the grade of the ferrites that I have are 3E25 and unfortunately in the table there are no values for the operating frequency at this grade. I do get an output on the transformer and the wave looks exactly like the input so I'm guessing its within the operating frequency, I will do a few tests later to see how much current I'm getting from it. I'm just wondering if the comparators arent liking their input voltages because they are a little on the high side - about 18V. I will step the transformer down further to see what I get.

Google search for '3e25 ferrite' and you'll find a lot more frequency data. The datasheet on rcgroups.com seems pretty comprehensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back