Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

modelman

Hi all
How can I find the maximum amps a 12v 15 va transformer wil give will give.
Also the primary connections are 120 0 120 , do I just strap the two 120 terminals together to run it from 240v.
Thanking you in anticipation.

Transformers are rated in VA or Volts X Amps. 15VA/12V = 1.25A. As to the connections on the primary I am not sure.

modelman said:
the primary connections are 120 0 120 , do I just strap the two 120 terminals together to run it from 240v.

No, you use both 120V terminals and leave the 0 unconnected.

120 0 120

Something ain't right about that. Anyhoo, it ain't like any transformer I ever seen. He sure he got the innies and outies straight? I seen center tapped secondaries but not primaries. The primary should either have two or four leads. If the primary has four leads, it is for connecting for 120V (primary coils in parallel) or 240 (primaries in series). However (important safety tip) you have to observe the polarities of the windings or yer screwin up (that goes for secondaries, too.) Now, maybe it's some funky transformer, with a tertiary winding, then its all bets off, every one outta the pool.

j.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back