Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overclocked

Is the size (thickness,AWG) of wire proportional to the maximum amount of current going through a transformer? Meaning the AWG of the wire gets smaller (thicker) does it allow a bigger current transfer? Ie, if transformer has say 18AWG Wire and I increase it to 14AWG, will I get more current?

You're going to get a little bit more current only because the thicker the wire equals less resistive losses, but I belive how much current/voltage you get depends on how you wind the transformer.

Make sure though to use high enough gauge wire though for the current, otherwise the wire might melt :lol:

So if its a low voltage secondary, like 12V RMS, I would get more current VS 24V winding on the same transformer?

But, What if the primary is for say 3000 turns of 30 AWG VS 10 turns of 20AWG? Which would be better?

How much current you can get from secondary winding depends on VA rating of the transformer. VA rating is proportional to iron core cross section area and not to wire AWG.
The greater current rating requires thicker wire because of resistive loss of winding.

The transformers Rating is 1000VA.

So then I should use the thicker AWG Wire thats on the primary then, and not the thinner stuff.

Thickness of wire depends on current through winding. Current density in wire is usually about 3.5-4A/mm^2. This value is choosen regarding to power loss and as a consequence the temperature rise in transformer.
If your transformer is 1000VA you can at 12V of secondary voltage get about 75-80A. Wire for that current wil have about 4.9mm in diameter.
You may wount thicker wire if you have available space on coil former.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back