Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazza175

Just wanted to run an idea past you guys, information in the net seems a bit scarce.

I would like to make a transformer but in 2 parts for a project i would like to work on.

The primary coil will be fixed into a shelf, the secondary coil will be in the base of a drawer.

When the drawer is closed the 2 coils will sit directly over one another and will be approximatly 5mm - 10mm apart. When the drawer is open there will be a switch that turns off the primary coil.

The input voltage of primary coil is 240v 50hz and the output of the secondary will also be 240v 50hz. So i assume both coils should have the same amout of windings.

The coils (from what i read on the internet) will have an air core. But i also read that power transmition between the coils isnt good due to losses.

I need to be able to draw upto 1Amp from the secondary coil. The power will be consumed by a heating element.

Is this easily dooable? If so any pointers on the best way to do it?

I looked at inductive coupling/charging. This is no good for my application as it appears to be a little hit and miss with tuning etc. i also dont need long range power transmission.

This inductive coupler will be VERY inefficient, a really bad idea.

You say that you want to pass 1amp, but make no mention of voltage (or power).

My best suggestion is to arrange for two halves of a standard pin to pin connector to make contact when the drawer is in place.

Your problem then is just a case of ensuring mechanical alignment, the power transfer will be 100% efficient.

JimB

And unless your alignment is tight and perfect, you will most likely experience 50 or 100Hz mechanical and audible vibration.

Ken

I did mention it was 240v input and 240v output, is there absolutly no way to do this then without a mechanical solution?

My tea kettle solves this problem.

I did mention it was 240v input and 240v output, is there absolutly no way to do this then without a mechanical solution?

You could use a thin iron sheet in the drawer base and heat it from an induction coil, for a drawer warmer.

Mechanical, but is simple:
Mounted on the drawer's back panel: **broken link removed**
Mounted on a panel behind the drawer: **broken link removed**
Does require good alignment.
Ken

Last edited:
Ken

Exactly what I had in mind.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads