Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer problem......

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjd71

Hi all, first time poster here...Go easy on me

I not sure if this can be done, but here goes.

I've got a 16vac 30va AC transformer that is for my house alarm, that is not working and I think it is the transformer. Reason why is that the voltage measured from the transformer is 19.10vac. The panel cannot accept more than 18vac, so it automatically cuts off by this "ptc" component thing.

What I want to know is can I use a resistor with this and what resistance would I use. I don't know to much about electronics but I can learn lol. I know I can easily just order a new transformer online but, I'm not even sure that's the problem. For all I know the circuit board could be fried. So figured if this was possible by dropping 19.10vac to 18vac, then alarm should come on. Then I'll go buy a transformer, otherwise new alarm.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks you

I never heard of a transformer failing that way. My guess is something in your circuit open-circuited, and the transformer is no longer loaded, so it's output measures higher than normal.

As BrownOut noted there's no reasonable way for a transformer to fail with a high voltage. Transformer failure modes are either shorted or open (no voltage).

19.1V is a reasonable voltage for an unloaded 16V transformer. The rated voltage is at full load which takes into account the drop from the transformer winding resistance.

Sounds like your alarm is not providing a load.

You have a DSC security system dont you ? lol

if you do, pm me. I might be able to help.

Last edited:
no they are not bad, they are actually pretty good products..i just kno a few bit about them..including what transformers they use :)

Hi there i am new to here as well , tresca i was wondering if you could please help me with your knowledge on DSC units, I have a dsc classic pc1565 alarm which stopped working assuming it was a transformer problem i replaced it with a brand new one , bingo all good for about 4hrs then it stopped working again - no power to alarm unit or keypad. has it blown another transformer ??? any help would be greatly appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back