Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer power output

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripiz

Hello. My PC PSU doesn't work properly because of constant overheating, so I decided to get new one, and reuse parts of old one. I found these 3 yellow things in image are transformers, but I failed to find how much Amperes and Volts they output. Maybe anyone know?

Thank you in advance.

Images of transformers from Codegen 400W 400X PSU:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Can you rephrase your question a little?

First of all, you're considering buying a new power supply. Then you say "and reuse parts of old one". Why? Sounds like madness to me. Assuming you buy a more powerfull power supply, why do you want to swap parts and insert old parts. Not only will that cancel any warranty, but also there is a great chance that the new (and modified) psu won't work.

The amount of current each transformer it delivers should be pretty much the same as each voltage output delivers in a given moment. But it isn't that easy. Each transformer have more than one output, and each output will draw different amount of current.

I want to reuse transformers elsewhere (I guess I shouldn't have added PSU story).
I need 12 Volts (PSU is able to output 12V so one of transformers should output that), but I also need a lot Amperes, that's why I want to know how much they can output, before getting sparks or bad smell all over the room.

you can't reuse transformer in this power supply, those are swithing power supply and those transformer are made for high frequency (over 50khz). Maybe you can use your defective power supply to get 12volt out of it

You mean instead of standard 50-60 Hz like household appliances use, it's 50 KHz?
How can I use PSU to get 12V? It won't give power unless it's "started up", but it's Motherboard that starts it when I press Power button.

Thank you for your knowledge. I'll try if it works.

Edit:
Will it turn off automatically in-case of overheat like before, or it won't anymore?

Last edited:
Sure they are reusable provided you know how to build SMPS's.
Read up on dedicated SMPS driver IC's and follow the recommended schematics.

I have done it before and it does work but it not a beginners level project. Use one of the IC data websites to find out what your IC's and other semiconductors do that are on the power supply now.

The rest is just back tracing the circuits ans components on the board to find out what goes where and what power came from where. Your main 12 volt, 5 volt, and 3.3 volt if you have it power are easy to follow and the negative voltages are usually produced from the big toroid so they can usually be eliminated in a rebuild.

Thank you for your knowledge. I'll try if it works.

Edit:
Will it turn off automatically in-case of overheat like before, or it won't anymore?

yes it will, it just simulates the power button on the motherboard, are you sure if it was the power supply that was overheating (fans are ok?) or the cpu making it restart?

Fan wasn't starting, so I removed PSU, cleaned the dust, removed fan, cleaned & oiled there, put it all back - it still didn't start. Then I hit PSU and it started. But it wasn't rotating enough, and PC still kept restarting. Then bought new PSU and it works fine.

All modern (standard) computer power supplies have a remote power on signal provided by the CPU board. You need to connect that signal to ground to make the power supply turn on. Google "PSU" "connectors" and you will find the information. On my desk unit it is a green wire and pin 16. Jumper it to either of the black wires on either side of it.

Still won't fix your overheating problem though. And as mentioned previously, some power supplies do not have good voltage tolerances unless there is some load on one of the voltages.

JimW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back