Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transformer power estimation/calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjvh

hi need some help or at least a sort rule of thumb

the transformers that i can buy here have all the nice marketing print that is lying about their capabilitys

the voltages are ok but Amps not

how can i estamate/calculate a safe value for what the transformer is capable to deliver

0.7 square mm is not capable to deliver 15 Amp at 25V that is comon sense even the lable say so (and i did test this one out in the field but the tranformer is to hot to touch after 10 minutes)

wire thicknes from prim and sec windings is a factor also the core of the transformer (iron) and also the size

can somebody teach me a way to make a good estamation/calculation for this problem?

thanks
Robert-Jan

Could it be your transformer was designed for pulse operation and the current rating given is meant a peak rating rather than continuous?

Or perhaps you mistook power for current?

Are you also sure you aren't mistaking the transformer's current rating for it's output current rating? A transformer's current rating is the maximum current the transformer's coil can handle and NOT the output current.

So a 1:10 transformer rated for 1A can handle 1A on it's primary side or secondary side. Since it's a step-up transformer, this means that the side that will draw more current in operation is the primary, therefore the secondary side can only output a maximum of 0.1A.

If it was a 10:1 transformer rated for 1A, then the secondary would always have more current in it than the primary. THerefore this transformer's secondary can output 1A and the primary will only ever draw 0.1A.

Last edited:
the only info i have written on the lable is the voltages and only 1 Amp figure

i see diferent sizes of wirering for diferent voltages

preferably i need some kind of formula where i can estamate or calculate the power output

can measure the risistance of the coil Combined with the output voltage
or input and go from there
i don't want to buy transformers and find it out by trail and error
so a rule of thumb with a 10% tolerance would already enough

a calculation methode for it within1% would be splendid only for the fact that i find it intressting theory to learn

Robert-Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back