Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajmix2

I just aquired a transformer today from a friend. I have a problem though. I don't know what it's rated for. From what i can discover by looking at the rectifier attached to it, is that it is made by the company cherry and has some numbers on it (as well with on the transformer). The numbers on the board (from top to bottom) are:
026-0895
ART REV.C

Cherry (cherry symbol)(copyright)
13-0

001-1191
That's it for the board. The transformer:
PRI

TTI-12456
1229-8340

There's the transformer. I also got a base type thing with it it has a sticker with cherry on it and Waukegan,IL USA also with some numbers and letters.
W0E0-0WPA 1245415
Cherry(cherry symbol)
Waukegan, IL USA
(It's extremely faint and i can't tell if the 0's are o's or vice-versa)
Any help in figuring this out would be appreciated.
I have searched all over and cannot find anything. And since i have no clue what the numbers mean....Well i'm lost.

Assuming it's a mains transformer, your best bet is to connect it up to the mains and measure the output voltage.

As far as the maximum current is concerned, the best way to determine that is to look at the overall size of the transformer, thickness of wire on the secondary and measure how much the voltag drops when you connect larger loads. Bigger transformers have better regulation so the voltage will drop less when you apply the load.

As Hero999 said, the physical size will give you an indication as well as the TX wire size.

See if you can get the data from the rectifier, the numbers you give us are manufacturers numbers.

A photo of the TX would be handy

Do an ohms test at the windings, generally very low ohms are the secondaries, Higher ohms are the primaries.

For testing from the mains put a 200 Watt lamp in series with the primary winding, it will limit the current when you connect it up wrong e.g. 110 volts winding on 230 Volts.

Cheers, Raymond

Depends what power requirement you need e.g. 300 VA, 1 kVA.

Also 50 or 60 Hz or SMPS at higher frequencies.

Another thing you should note is that if your transformer has a 12V and a 120V secondary and you use is in a modified sinewave inverter. The maximum peak output will be 120V and that's with no load, add a load and it'll probably drop down to something like 110V. Note that the peak voltage of the 120V mains is 170V and some things (in fact most things) probably won't work from 110V peak which is effectively 78VAC RMS.

To use a transformer in an inverter the rated secondary voltage needs to be 1/√2 of your input voltage so for a 12V inverter you need a transformer with a 9V primary.

So then I would assume that to check and to find out how much the primary is I would hook it up to 120vac and measure on the primary...or would I hook it up to 12vdc and measure on the primary?

Last edited:
Transformers are AC, you should never hook them up to DC.

If you don't know which col is the primary then measure the resistance of both coils, the primary will have the higher resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back