Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

elec123

Hi,

Yes, this is my college work, but i have attempted it and need a just need a few things clarified for me....

Using a 48kVA, 4800/240 V step down transformer:

open circuit test: V = 240V, I =2A, P = 120W
short circuit test: V= 150V, I=10A, P =600W

O.k in o/c i get:

Rc = (V^2) / W = (240^2) / 120 = 480 ohm
Xm = 124 ohm

and in s/c i get:

R= W / (I^2) = 600 / (10 ^2) = 6 ohm
Xl = 13.7 ohm

Do these values seem correct?

I have to determine the equivalent circuit viewed from the high voltage side, is my attempt (see attached) correct?

To find the rated current in the primary is this just 48kVA / 4800 = 10A?

I appreciate this site is not for students to get their homework done for them, but if someone could look over what i have done that would be most appreciated....

Thanks in advance

elec123

Attachments

• transformer_195.gif
    transformer_195.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 239
Here is the problem: in the open circuit case, the current in the secondary is zero, therefore the 2 amps is in the primary. Using the secondary voltage is incorrect. In the short circuit case, I don't know if the 10 amps is the short circuit current in the secondary or primary current. It would make sense that the current is measured in the primary because the 150 volts has to be primary voltage, the secondary voltage is zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back