Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

I have a meter that requires 100/125v 50 HZ to run and I'm aware that some transformers I can use half the primary.

I have 240v house mains but with my transformers information I'm a little confused and worried about where to connect what to get what I require.

Here is the info on the transformer:

pins on it-

0v...12v......0v...12v

info on it-
Primary input across 1 and 4
For 240v operation link 2 and 3
For 120v operation link 1 and 3 and 2 and 4

6va transformer stock no. 196-303
max load 3va per winding.
Looking for advice.

Last edited:
I assume your second pin "1" is supposed to be "3" in your diagram.

So for 240V operation you connect pins 2 and 3 together and connect the 240 volts to pins 1 and 4. That connects the two windings in series.

For 120V operation the two primaries are connected in parallel (which is similar to using half the primary, but reduces the transformer primary resistance).

What about the power in Watts of that transformer ?

In similar case I got an traveler adapter 110/220V, take it apart, and install the transformer in a Fluke 8012A Bench top DMM.

I assume your second pin "1" is supposed to be "3" in your diagram.

So for 240V operation you connect pins 2 and 3 together and connect the 240 volts to pins 1 and 4. That connects the two windings in series.

For 120V operation the two primaries are connected in parallel (which is similar to using half the primary, but reduces the transformer primary resistance).

Ha!! thanks for the heads up on the error.. now altered!!

What pins do I get my 120v out from?

Thanks so far.

N on 1
join 2-3
L on 4

take 0-120 from 1 and 2

but you need to know how much current your meter will draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back