Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer for dual rail power supply - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

GooseElectro

>> I am trying to make a +/- 5v dual rail power supply for this digital volume control IC: PGA2311 - Datasheet, and other devices such as a 741 op-amp. <<

I belive i will only need about 50mA for these devices ?

I would like to use these regulators to regulate the output of my power supply:
L7805 Positive Regulator - Data sheet
and KIA7905PI Negative Regulator - Datasheet

I have found this transformer: **broken link removed**, will this be ok for what i need ?

What sort of rectifier will i need ? and What sort of smoothing capacitors will i need ?

How should i fuse the power supply ? Should i fuse it before and after the transformer ? What value fuse should i use 1A ? or smaller ?

>Any suggestions are much appreciated<

How many threads do you have to start on this question? Look at this

Did you look at the link?

Did you look at the link?

Yes I have and it was very useful but I would still want to know if the transformer that I have found is ok ? and how would I fuse the circuit ? I am using uk voltages and I asume that the regulators I suggested would be fine ?

Thank you for your help ?

Yes, the transformer has a 9-0-9 output so if you don't need more than +/- 50 mA it should do fine. Also if you use a 7805 I would use a 7905 for the neg regulator.

Ron

Here is the basis of your split supply. Should be good for ~50mA with the transformer you linked. Fuse the transformer primary with a 1/4A glass fuse in an appropriate holder.

Attachments

• SplitPSFW.png
    SplitPSFW.png
    54.9 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Yes, the transformer has a 9-0-9 output so if you don't need more than +/- 50 mA it should do fine. Also if you use a 7805 I would use a 7905 for the neg regulator.

Ron

Thank you very much for you reply it was very helpfull, in the mean time i have been shown this circuit which uses a transformer that i already have, i would idealy want to use this one:

**broken link removed**

I already have this thransformer that i think will be the same as the one in the circuit ( just can supply more current?):

**broken link removed**

could you tell me if i already have the right transformer and are these component ok for the circuit? :

**broken link removed** 1N4002S ?
**broken link removed** 4700uF 35v??
**broken link removed** 10K ?
**broken link removed** L7905CV ?
to go with
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheets/270/9554_DS.pdf

thanks again

Here is the basis of your split supply. Should be good for ~50mA with the transformer you linked. Fuse the transformer primary with a 1/4A glass fuse in an appropriate holder.

Yes i see, would i need a fuse the secondary side of the transformer? and could i put this fuse in the mains plug? Would it be the same fusing if i were to use the other (white) transformer?

Thanks alot for your help.

I would not use the "electronic transformer". It is a switcher, god knows what frequency it switches at; it likely radiates switching crap into your analog signals; god knows if it is even isolated from the 240V input line. Use the iron transformer. Fuse only the 240V side.

I would not use the "electronic transformer". It is a switcher, god knows what frequency it switches at; it likely radiates switching crap into your analog signals; god knows if it is even isolated from the 240V input line. Use the iron transformer. Fuse only the 240V side.

Right i see, so i should use this transformer :
**broken link removed**
and this circuit:
**broken link removed**
?

Could you tell me if the components i have suggested in a previous post will be ok and will this fuse be ok?: **broken link removed**
?

thanks again

The 18Vct transformer will provide enough voltage for the 7805/7805 style regulators.
The glass fuse is fine, but you need a holder for it, like the Buss HKP.

I would use a 1/4A slow-blow (time delay) fuse. Maybe you want to add a line-rated On/Off switch, too. Someone may have a better idea on the fuse rating. I deal with 120V AC, and haven't dealt much with 240V.

The 18Vct transformer will provide enough voltage for the 7805/7805 style regulators.
The glass fuse is fine, but you need a holder for it, like the Buss HKP.

I would use a 1/4A slow-blow (time delay) fuse. Maybe you want to add a line-rated On/Off switch, too. Someone may have a better idea on the fuse rating. I deal with 120V AC, and haven't dealt much with 240V.

Ok thanks alot.
which one out out these fuses woulds be correct, they are in A not W: **broken link removed**

Could you tell me if the components i have suggested in a previous post will be ok and will this fuse be ok?:

thanks

I correct my self about the volts and the WATS for the fuse.

I think the components i have mentioned in post #8 will be ok ( not the transformer i will use the 9-0-9 transformer), could somebody clarify this ?

Thinks allot for your help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back