Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transformer driving inductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nihsvana

dear sir/madam,
i'm trying to drive a 1mH(mili henry) coil with a 1:9 transfomer. input to the transformer is sine wave 21khz 10V(peak to peak) output should be 90v(p-p). under no load condition 90vp-p is available at the secondary but when i'm connecting 1mH coil it is getting distorted and voltage is 3Vp-p. inductance of primary of transformer is 1mH and that of secondary is 94mH and load across secondary is 1mH. is it because of impedance mismatch. Please give me suggestions.
regards,
jagdish,
DE,
PMI.

This "dear sir/madam" makes me remember those annoying spams.

I think he is trying to build an inverter?

Quick calculations.

The reactance of a 1mH choke at 21kHz is 132ohm.

90v p-p is 32v rms

The current in the inductor will be 240mA.

Can the source provide this current? I suspect not, so it dies and you end up with 3vp-p.

JimB

thanks for ur quick replies. i'm not trying to build an inverter. the purpose of driving the coil is that it induces emf into another coil which is placed 6" away.
yeah current may be the reason for this drop.
i'll try to improve my english.

Last edited:
nihsvana said:
"dear sir/madam" it shows my respect to the one who is reading this quote.

It's supposed to. But the thing is that so many people get telemarketer phone calls or spam emails that start that way that many have been conditioned to associate these with spam- as well as the response that comes with spam. To tell you the truth, even though I am aware of this, when I read that I get a surge of annoyance running through me.

Usually when someone is that polite to you and is not using your name, they are someone you don't know trying to sell you something you neither want nor need. It's gotten to the point that many people hear those words "dear sir/maam" in their head as very rehearsed and insincere (kind of like me, not much I can do about it). I personally prefer a "Hello, everyone."

Last edited:
It would seem to me that the transformer is a completely unnecessary and undesirable step. By adjusting the design of the inductor, the coil should be able to make the desired magnetic flux at 10v. The simple answer is simply use fewer turns. Isolation seems unnecessary too.

Oznog said:
It would seem to me that the transformer is a completely unnecessary and undesirable step. By adjusting the design of the inductor, the coil should be able to make the desired magnetic flux at 10v. The simple answer is simply use fewer turns. Isolation seems unnecessary too.

Yes, I completely agree.

An air-core inductor is the best option (not the best, but the cheapest).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back