Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer cores?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grrr_arrghh

Hi.

i am just doing some revision for my science exam on monday, and my notes say that 'transformers are made with a soft iron core because..."

It must have been one of those homeworks I didn't do. Can anyone tell me why they are made with soft iron cores?

Thanks

Tim

It is generally undesirable to select a core material that has a tendency towards retaining residual magnetism, i.e. one that will easily become permanently magnetized. As a result, soft iron or powdered iron is often used as a core material... :)

someone correct me if i'm wrong but isn't ferrite (that black, grey colored rock-like) made of powdered iron ???, because iron is Fe on the periodic table.

Fe- Ferrite, see the resemblance???

pike said:
someone correct me if i'm wrong but isn't ferrite (that black, grey colored rock-like) made of powdered iron ???, because iron is Fe on the periodic table.

Fe- Ferrite, see the resemblance???

Yes it is. The latin for Iron is Ferric, hence Ferric Oxide for rust.

Bear in mind, I'm NOT a latin scholar!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back