Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transformer and resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

svtiss

Hi all
I try to fix a power supply and don’t have any documentation for it.
It looks like switching power supply , I checked everything ,what I could and all look good , but I am not sure about transformer , the output coil has 0.00 resistance, Is that normal ?
Thanks
P.S. the power supply not working

Transformers are coils of wire and wire has very low resistance - your ohmeter isn't sensitive enough.

You are going to have to give more information...the FETs could have burned out or something...but honestly I have no idea.

It's probably not the inductor since it would probably be up in smoke if anything happened. I doubt the insulation on the transformer broke down since you said everything looks good.

What size is the power supply? Maybe it's just a fuse you don't know about?

Last edited:
How did you check the impedance?

What sort of power supply is it?

Hero999 said:
How did you check the impedance?

I was wondering that too. It isn't somthing you can check with a meter is it?

I assumed his meter can somehow drive a 1000khz through a transformer...but now that I give it a few seconds though, it doesn't make much sense.

Well , I checked the fuses ...
And the meter is good too , I used 3 feet of 22 awg wire and the meter showed somethig like 0.03 ohms , and for impedance , I used a special meter , when power supply was off ... I giving up on it , still think the transformer is no good ..., thanks anyway.

I'm just aiming in the dark here, but perhaps a voltage spike (or static electricity) blew the transistors. Why don't you try testing across the source, drain, and gate of the switching transistors and see if they read as a short?

SURE , i did check everything ,what i could, seem fine.
it is big power supply from RV , no info , only what i can see is
Todd engeeniring inc, thats all.

hi,
Re checking the impedance of a transformer [inductor].
Some 'smart' meters output a 1kHz sine wave of a known amplitude, say 1volt rms,

The meter measures the rms values of the applied ac voltage and the ac current
flowing in the inductor.

So using the equation

Zl= 2 * pi * 1kHz * L, Zl= 6280 * L

Knowing the Vac and Iac gives the impedance Zl

Vac/Iac = 6280 * L

So, L= Vac / (Iac * 6280) mHenry ; [ correction for units required]

The impedance values when you measure a transformer will be depend upon
on how the windings on the rest the transformer are connected.
ie; open, shorted or connected to a matching load.

If its a high output current transformer the secondary winding resistance
will be very low.

A couple of questions.
Did you do the test meter measurements with the transformer still wired up ?.

Is it easy for you to disconnect the input/output cables from the transformer ?

Let me know, I may be able to assist.

Regards

EricG

ericgibbs said:
If its a high output current transformer the secondary winding resistance
will be very low.

He specified it's a switchmode supply, so the transformer windings will be VERY, VERY low impedance - particularly if you only measure them at 1KHz.

Nothing connecting to the power supply , its just a module ,
And I dont know what current and voltage , maybe 24v , and heatsink 6" by 8"
, so lots of power , as i said early its from RV.
I understand that the resistanse is low and very low , but if i tried 2 different meters and both showed 0, is that transformer problem ?
it has feedback and auto shut down , that why no burns on the transformer and on the PCB... anyways , i gave up on it , no chance to find new parts , google doesnt help . thanks everybody

svtiss said:
but if i tried 2 different meters and both showed 0, is that transformer problem ?

I wouldn't have thought so, if it's a switchmode transformer I wouldn't expect it to read any different. If the transformer was shorted turns (which would be EXTREMELY rare) you would find lots of components blown up!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back