Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer Alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesdedogs

Hello all techies here!

Just a general quick question:
Is there an alternative to a transformer?
e.g. is there some modern day component that replaces transformers?
If so any idea of the efficiency of each?

AC->DC 230V 2A type transformer (apparently DC transformers exist)
:oops: I am dumb and have great ignorance of electronics.
I praise all you people!! :p

Depends on the application. For my amplifier circuits, I use capacitor coupling (RC coupling) instead of inductive coupling (transformer).

What are you doing that requires a transformer?

We still use transformers in modern days. There an prety eficent way of converting volatges.

Also coils are somtines used in switchmode power suplys.They use the coils inductance to change the voltage.

There are resistive and capacitive transformerless power supplies for low power applications. They use only a few components and are pretty easy to design and build..

The best reference I've seen is Microchips Application Note 954.

It's available on their website.

thanks all. =)

I just heard from a friend that transformers can now be replaced with tiny microchip type solisoid or something that is more efficent than the old wound windings.

the type he was talking about was like for a laptop or standard issue ones like computer modem ones.

guess transformers are, and always will be king =]

thank you for your time.

Whilst we are on the subject of Transformers, I have a question.

I am building a UV exposure unit. I have designed the circuits, and have all of the fittings and tubes, but I am stuck on the case. I was thinking about making the 4 sides out of out of 15mm thick pine wood, and the bottom & lid from ply wood. Then I would use PVC & perspex for the control panel/display and exposure surface. However, I will be using a 240V - 14V PCB mount transformer. Should I have a seperate box inside the unit, to hold the transformer? Safety - wise, what would you guys do?

jamesdedogs said:

There is no such thing as a DC transformer. A transformer HAS to input AC and output AC, otherwise it will not work.

The DC transformer you're thinking about is the kind that you plug into the wall and it outputs DC. The reason it outputs DC is that after the regular AC transformer there are four diodes arranged in a bridge rectifier that turns the AC into a choppy DC waveform, and a filter capacitor that smooths the waveformr. I think I got the part count right?

zachtheterrible said:
jamesdedogs said:

There is no such thing as a DC transformer. A transformer HAS to input AC and output AC, otherwise it will not work.

The DC transformer you're thinking about is the kind that you plug into the wall and it outputs DC. The reason it outputs DC is that after the regular AC transformer there are four diodes arranged in a bridge rectifier that turns the AC into a choppy DC waveform, and a filter capacitor that smooths the waveformr. I think I got the part count right?

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/89c51-ed2-eeprom-access-while-program-read.12312/
discusses the opposing view : /

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back