Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer Advice pls!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

Hi All:

Yes, i have just hacked (literally) another MOT. :eek:
Anyway, I am using it for an electronics power supply.

Since the Magnetizing current (no load) was about 12 Amps I decided to add some copper. 40 turns later the current is down to 2.75A which is ok.

The secondaries use 18 AWG for a 25.4 VAC CT output and 12 AWG for a 13.4VAC output.

The core area of 64mm x 35mm works out to about a 375VA unit.

My question is:
If I expect to draw a max load of 8A from the 25.4 VAC secondary = 203VA, does this mean that I can draw 375-203 = 172 VA or 12.8A from the 13.4VAC secondary?

Also, at full draw 375 VA/120VAC = 3.125 A in the primary. Does this add on to the no load magnetizing current of 2.75A?

I think 2.75A is too much for the magnetizing current. Sounds like you are still saturating the core somewhat. I believe it should be below 1A for a proper design.

Mots are usually designed to run into saturation a little bit to save core material.

Did you remove the magnetic shunts?

I might have got the wrong end there.

Microwaves usually use a resonant voltage doubler, hence the shunts to increase the impedance, running it without wil cause the offload current to go up.

You'll be able to make a supply from it, but if you want something that can be run for hours you'll have to do some carefull redesign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back