Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transform PC stereo audio to mono

Status
Not open for further replies.

Increazon

Hello. I need safely transform PC stereo audio output to mono. After signal going to one-channel self made amplifier. Now i'm listening only right channel. Show schematics please.

You should be able to just use a Y cable to combine the two outputs into a single input. The PC output drivers should be able to handle a little extraneous voltage from the other channel without damage.

If you want a little protection, include a 10Ω resister in series with each output.

The next level would be to use a hybrid arrangement which I doubt you would want to build yourself because of the need for specially wound transformers. You can find the things on the market for use in 600Ω telephone circuits and I suppose you could design an active one for 8Ω but, that is a fair amount of design work and balancing the thing, either active or passive, takes skill and a very sensitive meter to get a really good return loss.

See youtube video of my amplifier. 1.5 hour later i will give response to you post. Need to go now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why i can't do like that?

scheme0001250000-png.51788

Attachments

• scheme0001250000.png
    scheme0001250000.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 446
And it is not harmful for PC's output? It is VIA board, so i do not want hurt it.

The LINE OUT on most sound cards has a 100Ω resistor between the output amplifer and the jack, so it is ok to short the Left Channel to the Right Channel to create a mono signal.

Generally, with things like MP3 players, IPODs, etc that are designed to drive headphones, it is not OK to short the Left and Right channels without using series resistors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back