Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transform 110vac 60hz to 208,220vac 60hz

Status
Not open for further replies.

killivolt

I have someone I work with who purchase a network box that runs on 208vac, he wanted to install it on a 110vac line.

I think it runs around 9-10amps so it wouldn't exceed a 15amp breaker. Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks anyway. Got my answer.

@kv

Let's hope you got the right one. 9A @ 208, 220. or 120?
You can't load a circuit continuously for more than 80% of it's rating. e.g. 80% of 20 A

PS: The answer is transformer

Do they make a box solution for this purpose ? Or will he have to just put together a Transformer that will be adequate for the Device in question?

9 * 120 is probably on the edge of easy stuff: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CFUQFjAC&url=http://www.hammondpowersolutions.com/files/HPS_Catalog_Control_GenPurpose_Section1.pdf&ei=8S-OUv-3DdPnsATij4Fo&usg=AFQjCNGCGbfHc9poa3J6WWBSmzwThmq_Yg&bvm=bv.56988011,d.cWc&cad=rja

I did ask 9 A at what voltage or getter yet the VA of the device.

The bigger box solutions, I believe, are still enclosed and you will find them under electrical distribution. As an example, I think we had a very large 440 to 208 transformer under the breaker panel in the machine shop. Nearly 95% came from hall mounted panels. All infrastructure motors came from the electrical room.

LARGE transformers will be vented.

I might even throw this out as an option (maybe): http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/376/cvs-1105.pdf

And I'll throw this **broken link removed** at you last.

Transformers may be operated in reverse, but I'd verify application with the manufacturer.

And these http://www.newark.com/sola-hevi-duty/hs5f5as/distribution-transformer/dp/93K6586?Ntt=93K6586

**broken link removed**

There should be a fair amount of 120 x 120 prim and 120 x 120 secondary transformers to be found. You series/parallel the windings as you need, but the transformer is enclosed.

And I'll even add: http://www.voltage-converter-transformers.com/step-up-down-transformer.html

Last edited:

I had found this one but, I didn't know if it was correct for his application. It appears to be along the lines of what he needs.

https://www.voltage-converter-trans...php?category_id=10016460&products_id=10060365

I'm not believing he needs that much amperage yet. But, he may be telling me the truth.

VA? VA? VA? VA? i.e. Volt-Amps

Ya, I really need to get more info from this guy. He's a programmer from China and he's all charged up about getting this thing. He want's to put it in his apartment.

It's shipping from Texas and I'm not sure about the company or what type or anything, all he gave me is that he's was sure it ran on 208v and he guessed at 9amps or so.

I'll get some more info when he get's it.

Thanks kiss for you help. I'm getting better at scaling things, I'm learning a lot. Oh and yes Amp = VA / V . I'd need a calculator to do VA > Watts

what exactly is a network box? why would it draw so much power?

9A at 208V = 2kVA

and that is more than standard 110VAC outlet can handle

9A at 208V = 2kVA

I over generalized, he said it's a server or some kind of Super Computer. Not sure he won't even give me name brand, all he said is it's put together in a special way?

What the hell does that mean? I don't care. I just don't want him doing anything stupid and burn his apartment building down.

In any event, KV never said it was 9A @ 208V. That's what I'm complaining about.

20A * 0.08 (derating for continuous) * 120 = 1950 Watts

so, if he uses the 20 A outlet in the kitchen or bathroom and doesn't use the hair dryer or the microwave and the load really isn't continuous, it could work. Again if it is 9A at 208V

9A at 208V = 2kVA

I read my post #11 I didn't mean to come off rude, your question is warranted. I was just thinking it's all kind of weird and really dumb too!

In any event, KV never said it was 9A @ 208V. That's what I'm complaining about.

20A * 0.08 (derating for continuous) * 120 = 1950 Watts

so, if he uses the 20 A outlet in the kitchen or bathroom and doesn't use the hair dryer or the microwave and the load really isn't continuous, it could work. Again if it is 9A at 208V

Before he even thinks about doing anything, I'm going to go around his apartment and measure Voltage from ever outlet, I'll isolate as much as I can. He understands the reasons.

@kv
Reread your post #1.

I have someone I work with who purchase a network box that runs on 208vac, he wanted to install it on a 110vac line.

I think it runs around 9-10amps so it wouldn't exceed a 15amp breaker. Anyone have suggestions?

9-10 Amps belongs with 208 or 110?

PS: 110 doesn't exist in the US at this point in time. Everything is generally 240/120 or 208/120.

BTW: Amps and Volts should be capitalized because they are proper names.

I will know more on Monday, he has been off since thursday. Now I'm seeing percentages that will change a lot of the plus or minus's. I can't do the math for the ratio's but, I do see it.

Does he have any high power appliances in his apartment?
Rang, dryer, water heater. most run off 208 volts.
Cheak braker panel for 2 pole brakers.
Unplug high power applianc and plug in server rack.

Does he have any high power appliances in his apartment?
Rang, dryer, water heater. most run off 208 volts.
Cheak braker panel for 2 pole brakers.
Unplug high power applianc and plug in server rack.

That was what started the conversation, he wanted to hook into the stove outlet.

Sorry I did not see that.
So whats the problum again?

The issue is his device us supposed to be running 208 Volts @ 9-10 Amps. But, I'm not sure of the exact Amperages until he gets the unit next week.

I'll put up more info next week when he gets it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back