Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

traffic light controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxracer327

I'm in the process of my first electrical project of making a traffic light controller, im using this setup **broken link removed** with a 100k pot in place of the 100k resistor to control timing. my goal is to have the same setup as this **broken link removed** with switches to make the red, yellow or both red and yellow flash as well as the normal sequence. It appears they are using a microcontroller but i would like to stick with the components in the first diagram as this is my first project (no programming) Any help would be much appreciated. thanks

They arn't using a micro-controller, they are just using a simple 555 and a 4017 decoder driver. You don't really need to use relays in the first design as long as your only driving an LED. However it would be a good idea to put a resistor on the base of each transistor so that you don't completely destroy them from too much current. If you are using a pot for timing then that will be fine, it will allow you to control the speed to your prefferences. I always say this in these kind of posts, but I really hope that you don't have any intention on using this as a legidiment way to control traffic.

I meant they're using a microcontroller in the second link (I think) and it is going to be hooked up to a real traffic light so I believe I will need the relays, but just to be displayed in my apartment (not for controlling traffic). Anyone have any ideas on how to incorporate the toggle switches as used in the second link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back