Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Traffic Light Changer

Status
Not open for further replies.

narco

Anyone seen the kit sold from Kenneke that changes the traffic lights through IR bulbs? Has anyone ever built one? If so, how did it work (or not) and how about sharing the schematics.

narco said:
Anyone seen the kit sold from Kenneke that changes the traffic lights through IR bulbs? Has anyone ever built one? If so, how did it work (or not) and how about sharing the schematics.

It does specify that it only works with Opticom equipped traffic lights (I wonder how many are, and if any are outside the USA), I would also suspect it's illegal to use!.

Its only illegal if you are not associated with a governmental entity, and its use would be used within the parameters allowed (such as EMS, Fire, and Police).

narco said:
Its only illegal if you are not associated with a governmental entity, and its use would be used within the parameters allowed (such as EMS, Fire, and Police).

If you were a legal user, no doubt such a device would be provided!.

Yes this is true, but if you were to price the complete (already built) version of the light changer, you would see that you can build it for thousands of dollars less than you can buy it for. If you have not used one, just say so. Last I checked this is an electronic project page, not a page to question legalality of items that you don't agree with. I would be willing to bet that although you preach about legality, probably about 85% percent of the electonic persons who read this page know how to steal cable, and are probably doing so right now (maybe even you).

narco said:
Yes this is true, but if you were to price the complete (already built) version of the light changer, you would see that you can build it for thousands of dollars less than you can buy it for. If you have not used one, just say so. Last I checked this is an electronic project page, not a page to question legalality of items that you don't agree with. I would be willing to bet that although you preach about legality, probably about 85% percent of the electonic persons who read this page know how to steal cable, and are probably doing so right now (maybe even you).

I'm not preaching at anyone, but I do dislike being accused of stealing cable!. Cable isn't even available here, there's a whole lot of world outside the USA you know!.

I still repeat, without any preaching whatsover, anyone legally entitled to use such a device would have one provided - and not a 'pirate' device either. I can't see government departments using such unofficial items, can you?.

I couldn't really care less if you use such a device or not, just don't suggest that you are entitled to use one!.

If you don't care, don't preach. You have to remember that just because such items are available, does not mean that they are affordable. I work for a municipal police department, and the budget does not allow spending on a piece of equipment (such as the traffic light changer) which costs a couple of thousand dollars. Due to that fact, smaller police departments have to make do with what ever they are able to. Which brings me right back to what I said before, it is a lot cheaper to build one than to buy one. For the price of one already built, my agency could build roughly about 10. I understand that there is life outside of the USA, so why are you preaching to me about the laws in your country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back