Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tracking mobile phones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am i missing something here or is all he's using just 4 RF diodes to detect the signal ?

I'm questioning the same thing here. How exactl would a basic stamp be able to detect a 300Mhz + signal when the proceesor doesn't work that fast??

pike said:
I'm questioning the same thing here. How exactl would a basic stamp be able to detect a 300Mhz + signal when the proceesor doesn't work that fast??

I thought cell phones were about 900MHz? - but in any case, the bridge rectifer is to convert the signal to a DC voltage - there will be plenty of stray capacitance to smooth a 900MHz signal.

However, it's obviously not intended as a practical unit, simply as a crude demonstration that a cell phone transmits periodically all on it's own. Notice how close the phone is in the video clip, that's probably as far away as it works.

Certainly you could track a transmitter in this way, it's called DF'ing (Direction Finding) and has been used ever since radio first started. But for a cellphone it's an incredibly crude technique, you would need to be fairly close, and there only be one working cellphone in range. And, of course, you need two readings from different locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back